Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New buck...Girls aren't happy with him...now what?  (Read 3067 times)

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
New buck...Girls aren't happy with him...now what?
« on: July 24, 2011, 08:10:17 pm »
I just purchased a 2 month old buck.  I brought him home, put him in with the girls, and they rolled him and chased him out of the barn. 

I'm not sure why I thought they would kiss and love each other at first sight......I now have him comfortably situated by himself in a pen beside the girls. 

Is it just a matter of time before I can slowly introduce him to them and have him unmolested.  He is supposed to eventually molest them!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: New buck...Girls aren't happy with him...now what?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 08:16:51 pm »
bless him!
he's just too young - not yet stud material so they probably see him as a threat to their food & territory.

how old are your girls?

when he's rampant, smelly and they are in season I'm sure they'll love him...
:)
Little Blue

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 08:22:12 pm »
The girls are old maids of 2 years. 

Is it correct to separate them?  Would they hurt him if I just allowed them to push him around until he was rendered a sissy?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 08:24:33 pm »
If I were introducing any new goats I'd pen them separately but side by side to start with, so they can get used to each other. Then do supervised, shortish playtimes. Perfect scenario is on neutral turf but difficult to manage that. They'll all settle down eventually I expect  :)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 08:50:06 pm »
and at least if they are separate, you should get a better idea of when the girls are "ready" to meet him...
Little Blue

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 09:49:15 pm »
Thanks for the help!

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 05:54:11 am »
at 2 months old  he is not sexually mature,  so is seen as an interloper & must be sent on his way.

In bad cases... older goats can kill a kid !

Best kept separate with a castrated companion... no male goat should live on its own.   In the wild, males live in batchelor groups until the autumn then go off and gather up  females.

chickenfeed

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 07:16:47 am »
just what wytsend said but with the addition its not a good idea to put any new stock in with yours until you are 100% sure they have brough no nasties in with them, a isolation pen is always useful with new stock.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS