Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Single duckling - 2 hen mums  (Read 3025 times)

norfolk newbies

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Grantham
Single duckling - 2 hen mums
« on: July 19, 2011, 01:33:05 pm »
Hi
We put some duck eggs under a broody hen, but only one hatched and due to to the fact that duckling fell out of nest box and was put back with broody who sat on it 50% of time rather than the one who was sitting when it hatched, it now has 2 very attentive mums.

I have a couple of questions; is it OK to leave this threesome as they are or will duck grow up afraid of water and thinking that it is a hen?What is best food for all, should I let the mums eat duck food (although I saw it trying to eat a worm bigger than it is at the moment, so I am not worried about it's protein intake)? And finally would it be possible to introduce duckling back to it's siblings (incubator hatch, now 8 weeks old) and when.

Thanks for answers ( new to ducks, first time hatching this year)
Jo

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: Single duckling - 2 hen mums
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 06:48:55 pm »
Leave them to it! I have just had two hens rearing two chicks between them. All went well, no squabbling, chick left out etc.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 07:46:56 pm »
Agree, we have had this scenario (but with chicks) and it was totally fine. Couple of Aunties really.   Feed duckling milk with tiny breadcrumbs or weetabix in (watch though hens will eat it too).  My ducklings eat this readily and it doesn't do any harm until about 8 weeks, gives them all they need.  Wouldn't introduce duck back to its siblings unless they were incubator products as their mums can get a bit annoyed and see it as contenders for food - wait until it's big enough to fend for itself.  Shouldn't think it will have a fear of water - worth putting a couple of large saucers (plant pot type) out - hens will drink, duck will swim, dabble and go back off with hens.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 10:29:29 pm »
Hen mums will go bananas when duckling goes near water.  don't let it near water too soon as it's feathers aren't oiled till they are a few weeks old.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

norfolk newbies

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Grantham
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 09:54:21 am »
Thanks for advice.
Water everywhere at the moment, huge puddles, but hens sheltering and duckling not venturing out. I will put more water in the barn in a shallow tray next week and see what happens
Plenty of weetabix, so we will try that one. The Mums great at making sure duckling eats first.
thanks again

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 09:59:43 am »
Just make sure there's nothing too deep. I lost a pretty yellow 5 day old duckling, drowned in a basin during a downpour - no idea how it got in there either.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 06:37:58 pm »
have to say our duck mummies always let their ducklings in water at a couple of days old - so long as they sleep under the mum they will dry off.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS