Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dumped Kittens  (Read 3905 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Dumped Kittens
« on: July 19, 2011, 10:48:24 am »
Had a call from my friend May yesterday about a cat and her kittens that were dumped near her place. She managed to get a couple of the kittens but the mother and the other two hid in her field and she could not see them due to the long grass. She gave the CPL a phone and they came out to pick up the two she had caught and leave her a trap in the hope that they will get mum and the others. What is making me so mad is the number of people who are now breeding their cats just to make money with no thought of their welfare. Kittens on our local Gumtree Adds are up for sale from £30-£70 so if you get a littler of 5/6 kittens there is money to be made. Even farm kittens are being sold for quite a bit and goodness knows what they could be carrying. If you are after a kitten or a cat please get in tough with your local CPL or dog and cat home. At least from them you know the cat or kitten has been blood tested to check that it is not carrying anything like feline aids etc. You could save yourself a lot of worry and vet bills in the end. My son bought a kitten from a nice lady near where he lives, she grew into a lovely cat but died at 9 months of age due to an infection she got through her mother.he spent over £500 on vet fees and it broke his heart when she died. The CPL say that feline aids is now everywhere hence they blood test. Having been a foster carer in the past for the CPL I know just how hard it is to look after a cat with the feline aids, its not nice.

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
Re: Dumped Kittens
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 11:35:02 am »
fingers crossed they catch the others  :wave:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 04:57:39 pm »
In some ways it's good that folk are charging, if it's to weed out buyers who won't care about them. But if it's to make a quick buck, it's rotten. We paid £40 each for our two, two years ago. They were stable cats but their mum and auntie were beautiful and looked healthy. Ours are fabulous - maybe we were just lucky, but I often think cats get a raw deal.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 12:58:02 am »
Its horrible that someone dumps a cat and kittens......although sometimes we have had cats just arrive here, and have their kittens through choice.

We have semi feral cats here on the farm, and although we have caught some and had them speyed, others we cannot catch, and there fore they breed.  The kittens I give away to friends, where they will be looked after. Otherwise, I sell them.  Not to make money, but to hopefully ensure the buyer has parted with money and will look after them.

At present, we have two lovely female ginger kittens, advertised for sale locally.  I am vetting prospectve homes, and have put a high price on them, again , to hopefully secure a loving home.

Really, after feeding the kittens, and de flea ing and worming, there is not much money to be made.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 09:45:54 am »
Well its happened again but this time at our place. The weather over the weekend was terrible, gale force winds with heavy rain non stop for at least 30 hours. Jake our Jack Russell found a ginger kitten around 8-10wks old in the long grass. It ran up one of the trees so I took the dog back into the house and went out to try and catch the very wet kitten. Alas it had gone and although we searched throughout the day there was no sign. Yesterday I found the poor little mite under a bush very much dead but then I knew its chances of living in the weather we had was very slim. I had put food in the barn and around the buildings hoping it would find its way inside. After being soaked so much myself trying to find it I now have a cough and very depressed.

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 10:00:10 am »
At least you tried. :bouquet:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 12:20:56 pm »
Poor wee mite  :'( Thanks for trying  :bouquet:

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 01:16:50 pm »
Oh hunni so sad :bouquet: and here is me wanting a stable cat and not knowing a thing about cats struggling, I can't let it in the house as I am allergic and can only handled cats outside and not in an enclosed space.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 01:11:34 pm »
Our cats often sleep in the barn or stables, its their choice. I find they only come into the house overnight if we are due bad weather. The CPL will take in cats and kittens so there was no need to dump this poor baby. They are always looking for homes for outdoor cats. As long as you have a shed or building the cat can take shelter and be warm and dry they are happy enough.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS