Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: We have a piglet  (Read 5173 times)

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
We have a piglet
« on: July 18, 2011, 09:53:43 pm »
Went to do the feed run earlier on as normal.  Got to the field and something wasn't quite right.  When the penny dropped we bricked it!!! One of the sow's that we "thought" was pregnant WAS !!! Couldn't find anything at first glance in the arks so did a field walk for bodies ... didn't find any.  Hubby donned some feedbags and went on all fours into each ark.  When we got to the last one we heard a squeek, he went in and felt around (pitch black in there) and found 1 piglet.  We didn't press anymore incase we freaked momma out as it's her first litter.  We gave them all deep beds and moved another ark to our little village that we've got going on and all seems well.  Hubby went back in and took my phone with him to use the cam-corders light to see what was what.  There is only one at the moment.  Mum seems very attentive and very protective which i guess is good.  They're all still together at the moment as there is nowhere else for them to go at the moment.  How long are they in labour for?  Is a maiden litter small?

We're going back tomorrow to see whats going on as we lost the light tonight.  Not a lot i can do just letting momma do her job.  Will keep you updated

HappyHippy

Re: We have a piglet
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 08:49:03 am »
Hiya,
It depends......
A first litter can last up to 8 hours. If it's a Kune Kune you could be looking at 3 or 4 in her first litter or if it's a 'big' pig the numbers might be higher.
If mum's running with lots of other pigs I'd try and section her off somehow - she might get stressed with all the other pigs around her babies.
Keep us posted  ;D and congratulations Granny  ;) :wave:

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 09:46:09 am »
A first litter can be small but a singleton is unusual. If she's attentive and protective then she probably hasn't freaked and eaten the others (which has been known to happen). If there aren't any more by now I'd speak to the vet: sometimes a piglet can get stuck. Or give her a shot of oxytocin if you have some, and see what happens. have you seen the afterbirth? If yes it confirms she's had all she's having, but if no it could mean there are more to come or she may have eaten it.

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 01:37:43 pm »
We lost the piglet :( she didn't have anymore. 

We've seperated the other sow that we suspected was in pig just incase and we'll leave her in there now for at least a month.

princesspiggy

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 06:45:58 pm »
thats sad for you, sorry  :(

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 08:00:01 pm »
oh dear, poor pig & you...      :(
good luck for the next lot 
Little Blue

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 08:12:14 pm »
She was teeny tiny and a spotty one.  We thought about taking her home to hand rear her but we didn't know if momma would have anymore so we left her with mom incase she could do a better job .... turned out not :(

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 08:13:00 pm »
its nature, dont feel guilty....
(been there)
Little Blue

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 12:14:08 am »
Sorry for your disappointment. Where did the sow come from and was she vaccinated against Parvo and erysipelas?  There are so many reproductive/farrowing problems which can be vaccinated against.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 12:58:10 am »
Sorry for your disappointment. Where did the sow come from and was she vaccinated against Parvo and erysipelas?  There are so many reproductive/farrowing problems which can be vaccinated against.

I doubt it.  We got them from a breeder who simply had to many and they bred for meat.  If i am honest i didn't know anything about parvo in pigs only dogs. 

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 12:06:12 pm »
So sad! Probably just one of those things you can't foresee or prevent. Tudful Tamworths is right that many farrowing problems can be prevented, but in healthy, outside-living, rare breed pigs farrowing problems are pretty rare. We don't vaccinate ours against anything (on our vets' advice): most of our farrowings have been fine but we did have one mangalitza who had 3 piglets in her first litter, one of which was stillborn, and then squashed one of the 2 survivors. Sometimes s**t just happens!
Better luck next time!

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 03:08:35 pm »
Thank you Tiva :) all ours are outside with arks.  It was sucky that we're new and didn't read the signs correctly.  The other preg female is now on her own, she is in a pen in the field so not away from the others.  She is in a pen with stock fencing and elec fence around the inside and outside to a) stop her jumping up and b) to stop the others annoying her when she is eating and to stop them jumping up lol

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS