Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Neglected paddock  (Read 8376 times)

waterhouse

Neglected paddock
« on: July 18, 2011, 10:13:47 am »
Adjacent to us and, crucially, upwind from us is a field which is about 100m by 70m and owned by a townie with no interest in using it or maintaining it.  It hasn't been mown in the 7 years we've been here but is grazed by astonishing rabbit population. The problem is that it mostly consists of ragwort, thistles and nettles which spread downwind onto our land.

I'm thinking of approaching the owner to take it over, mostly to stop the drift of weeds but I don't really want to spend a lot of money on it.  Pigs might be an answer except that it has 170m of main road frontage which would need serious fencing and I know nothing about pigs.

I could just top it and top it and top it for a year or so and then put the sheep on it.  I think I'm way too late this year already 'cos the ragwort is flowering.

What would you suggest?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Neglected paddock
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 10:17:36 am »
Well I think you're going to need to kill the ragwort off, ain't you?  Which means chemicals, I guess.  I'm pretty sure you should find resources on ragwort control on the DEFRA website somewhere
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 10:39:59 am »
I'd definetly contact the owner and nicely put it that you're concerned about some of the 'dangerous' weeds growing in there and would it be ok with them if you went onto the field to cut it back. To maintain the grass you would need to use a weedkiller like 'Grazon 90' (you can google it) which kills weeds but leaves the grass. For the time been i wouldn't mention taking it over or putting pigs on it until you get the gist of how the land lies with the owner!
HTH
Mandy  :pig:

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 10:49:10 am »
in scotland you can apply to have your neighbours field cleared of ragwort if your fields are clear and the windblown seeds will affect your fields
it is nearly 30 years since i have had anything to do with the legislation on this and cant remember anyone being forced to clear ragwort
pulling may be laborious but it does work your only problem is disposing of the pulled weeds         and the smell that can affect some people :farmer:

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 10:59:09 am »
Lots of folks think there's a law which means people have to control the ragwort on their land - not so I'm afraid.
There's the Control of Weeds Act 1959 (2003) which makes it possible to obtain an order, to make them control it, but you have to go through the paperwork  ::)
Here's a link to info from DEFRA about controling harmful weeds http://www.defra.gov.uk/publications/2011/04/19/harmful-weeds/
I'd definately make an approach to the owner though - at least make them aware (gently) of your concerns.
I have wee bits that spring up from time to time (in between pulling out sessions) and have to say that I've never seen the pigs touch it - I think they know it's not good for them  ;)
As for fencing it - a good 12V energiser (or mains if it's feasible) will power 2 strands of white tape around the area with ease - just make sure you've got a good earth connection and regularly strim down the edges to save it from shorting out. Why not consider a 'grazing' pig - Kune Kunes immediately spring to mind  ;)
Karen x

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 11:04:13 am »
I'd see if you could buy/rent it. And then I'd top it and top it. If ragwort not seeding yet, you might be in time. Persistent topping will kill all those weeds.
Sheep would need good fencing too  :P

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 01:35:12 pm »
You might be better having it sprayed to kill everything, then cultivating and reseeding. But I'd only do that if I owned it.

Link to Scottish Government guidance on ragwort.
http://scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2009/12/03104249/13

robert waddell

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 01:59:18 pm »
thanks rosemary   that document settles the argument once and for all ;) :farmer:
and supports what i posted already :farmer:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 05:37:14 pm »
Always glad to be of assistance  ;D

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 10:37:40 am »
If it's not in use and hasn't been for 7 years then I'd be round asking to use it in return for putting up secure fencing and controlling the poisonous weeds, and see if they wouldn't be grateful for you looking after it for them and maybe giving them a wee gift now and then :)

If they want money for it then I'd say fine here's the agri-rate, but to take that on the land would have to be stockproof with an adequate water supply and free of said poisonous weeds, let me know when that's done and meantime here's the info on weed control you might want to read.. ;)

Doing it nicely I reckon you might get land for very little if anything, which is never a bad idea if it borders your own :) and may have grateful neighbours into the bargain :)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 10:56:00 am »
We used to spray every year as our neighbour has more ragwort than grass and she has two horses in the field. As long as there is ragwort near you it will always be on your land. Now we pull it up and burn it as the cost of spraying is expensive. We did try talking to them but its water of a ducks back.  >:(

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 11:30:39 am »
I have had the same problem with our neighbour, our land is ragwort free at the moment  ??? but there field has ragwort in it, i approached them to see if i could just nip over the fence and pull it up. There reply was no there is no livestock in the field so it doesnt matter, i treid to point out that i didnt want the seeds blowing into mine, but it was water off a ducks back  ::)

waterhouse

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 10:33:09 am »
The land around here is mostly owned by rich people who have acquired a house and pony paddock but don't have the pony or any interest in or knowledge of agriculture.  Being urban fringe means that everyone hopes to get planning permission on green belt land for housing so land prices are stupidly high but they wouldn't sell because they want a buffer between them and anyone else.  Mind you these guys have an eight foot fence so they don't have to look at their land.

I don't like Grazon 90 because its persistent, at least sufficiently to have warnings on the label.  But maybe needs must.  I think topping might also be a full face mask operation.

Our sheep have been respectful of electric fencing though we have stock fence around our holding.  I understood pigs were a great deal more adventurous in escaping.  The main road is very fast and is an accident black spot: we were getting more than one road death a year until they started putting in more islands and refuges.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS