Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cream separators  (Read 21262 times)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Cream separators
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2011, 09:09:07 am »
This all sounds very positive as it makes goat-milk ice-cream possible, if I can get cream  ;D Only milking Ellie this year so drinking all the milk she gives but next year, when Rowan is grown-up and also milking ......  :)

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2011, 04:15:07 pm »
So pleased it works for you, enjoy your cream  :)

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2011, 04:42:44 pm »
Thanks Skirza. Just realized you're in Skirza.  Both my children live in Wick so I know roughly where you are stiuated. You're about as windswept as we are!

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2011, 06:33:47 pm »
Don't I know it  ;D

Getting back to the cream, we have ours after feeding/milking/watering in freshly brewed coffee...makes everything worthwhile ;)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 06:36:08 pm by Skirza »

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2011, 08:52:17 pm »
Thanks Crofter and Skirza - looks like we are buying one too... but the electric version I think.

My fridge has currently 15 ltrs of milk in it, and I have two lots of cheese in the press.... so I need another method if using up the milk. Oh, and piglets are on order too....

And I absolutely love my coffee with cream - continental upbringing...

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2011, 10:28:06 pm »
Anke

The piglets will thrive on the skimmed milk, and you get lots of cream! ;D

Dave

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2011, 06:34:17 pm »
Ok, job done!
The seperator works very well. I filled it with oil and screwed it down firmly to a work surface. I washed all the components and re-assembled it, them put a litre of lukewarm water through it to warm it up as instructed.
Then I put the evenings milking (5 pints, warm) through it. Hey Presto! Skimmed milk and cream.
You are supposed to start it off gently, winding the handle up to speed, then open the tap to let the milk in. I thought the machine might be hard to wind but you are really only keeping up the momentum and it's no work at all to turn.
Skirza, it does have a "cream screw" but by your descrition it is not exactly the same design as yours. I have not messed with that bit yet, but with the factory settings got something about the thickness of single cream.
The instructions also say to put a litre of the skimmed milk back through at the end to wash out the last of the cream.
You can find them at www.merry-farm.com and based on this purchase I'd recommend them.
I notice that they are now on ebay, which I don't think they were when I ordered. At a glance, I think the prices and shipping are lower on their own website.

Hope this helps people!

Dave

Dave, which one did oyu buy?  am i right that the electric one and the manual ones are the sameprice??  seems odd to me

jacquip

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2011, 09:32:06 pm »
Can I ask do these electrical items work on our voltage system?

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2011, 10:46:10 pm »

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2011, 11:43:05 am »
Hi Egglady

I bought the cheapest manual one at $69. The carriage was $25 which when converted gave a total of about £55.
I suspect there may have been a glitch on their site. Manual and electric are not now the same price but I think the prices are higher on ebay (covering costs?)
The one I bought is pictured in an earlier post on this thread.
They're probably well suited to smallholders as we will only give them light use and look after them well.

Dave

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2011, 12:53:56 pm »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MILK-CREAM-ELECTRIC-CENTRIFUGAL-SEPARATOR-80L-H-BRAND-/170508240771?pt=UK_BOI_FarmingEquipment_RL&hash=item27b3154783

That's the one I have, just needed a 2 pin to 3 pin adaptor

Can I ask?  why didn't you just cut the two pin off and fit a standard  3 pin?

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2011, 01:57:17 pm »
well i bit the bullet and ordered it........so if it's rubbish I'll have to be blaming you Dave lol

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2011, 09:20:14 pm »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MILK-CREAM-ELECTRIC-CENTRIFUGAL-SEPARATOR-80L-H-BRAND-/170508240771?pt=UK_BOI_FarmingEquipment_RL&hash=item27b3154783

That's the one I have, just needed a 2 pin to 3 pin adaptor

Can I ask?  why didn't you just cut the two pin off and fit a standard  3 pin?

Errr...dunno...didn't think of it...blonde (with grey bits) female....small brain...your guess is as good as mine ;D

Bigdreams

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Devon
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2018, 02:27:08 pm »
Just found this post re separators ???? just what I need having found a recipe for goat milk ice cream! Just also wondering how everyone’s machines are working?
Dreaming big

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2018, 09:51:54 pm »
Nowadays I use a hand operated separator, an Indian copy of a vintage Lister  and works very well too .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS