Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: horns and electric fencing  (Read 5796 times)

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
horns and electric fencing
« on: July 17, 2011, 07:09:34 pm »
Hi we want to halve the size of the field. We were thinking about using electric fencing - cos we have some and we could move it later - also its very hard ground to dig post in and reduces our flexibility. My question is should we do this as our sheep (Portlands) have horns.  :wave: OK fleecewife stop chuckling I know ours are mere bumbs compared the number and size your beasts have  ::)

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
Re: horns and electric fencing
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 07:29:46 pm »
Yarp - you shouldn't have any issues with them as long as it's tape and not netting.  I use 10mm and 20mm white tape as more of a visual barrier other than anything else.
Baa

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 07:42:07 pm »
Baa  ;D ;D What height have you found works best Captain? Also are you going to the annual event in East Sussex? we are going but not taking te ram - too far! :sheep:

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 07:45:56 pm »
Yarp - you shouldn't have any issues with them as long as it's tape and not netting. 

^
Agree with this :)

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 10:38:55 pm »
I'll get out with my measuring tape on the morrow.  Not going to East Sussex show, got 10 acres of field to divide up into paddocks!  Are you going to the Gillingham and Shaftesbury show in August?

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 11:30:02 pm »
Yarp - you shouldn't have any issues with them as long as it's tape and not netting. 

^
Agree with this :)

agree with this - using electric netting for horned sheep is a no-no in the sheep welfare code you get issued with. Tape should be fine (assuming your sheep will stay in with tape!)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 02:59:21 pm »
OK fleecewife stop chuckling I know ours are mere bumbs compared the number and size your beasts have  ::)

;D ;D
It seems horned sheep don't even need a fence to get themselves tangled up.  Our senior Heb tup, the chap who is my avatar, managed to get a back leg stuck through his side horn today.  My OH spotted him leaning up against the shelter apparently standing on 3 legs.  He must have been scratching his ear I suppose and could get his leg in but not back out.  ::) :sheep:
Actually when you look at that pic it looks as if he only has 3 legs anyway but I promise he really has 4  :D
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 03:01:03 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 03:04:31 pm »
OK fleecewife stop chuckling I know ours are mere bumbs compared the number and size your beasts have  ::)

;D ;D
It seems horned sheep don't even need a fence to get themselves tangled up.  Our senior Heb tup, the chap who is my avatar, managed to get a back leg stuck through his side horn today.  My OH spotted him leaning up against the shelter apparently standing on 3 legs.  He must have been scratching his ear I suppose and could get his leg in but not back out.  ::) :sheep:
Actually when you look at that pic it looks as if he only has 3 legs anyway but I promise he really has 4  :D

I know I shouldnt laugh but I chortled when I read that :-)) After hand shearing 3 yesterday and 4 today I needed that! thankyou!

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 09:17:13 am »

;D ;D
:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

waterhouse

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 12:22:33 am »
You could not make that up!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 08:08:36 pm »
Our senior Heb tup, the chap who is my avatar, managed to get a back leg stuck through his side horn today.  My OH spotted him leaning up against the shelter apparently standing on 3 legs.  He must have been scratching his ear I suppose and could get his leg in but not back out.  ::) :sheep:

;D ;D ;D

Oh I did wish for a picture!  But I suppose I have a good one in my head anyway...  ;D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 11:33:25 pm »
I think it was urgent to disentangle him as he'd been like that a while - but what a shot to miss  :D :D :sheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 05:30:12 pm »
 ::) ;D ;D ::) so, so funny the picture in my mind - but obviously not for him  :sheep: We trimmed the feet our our Ps yesterday and thought of you SW with horns everywhere - do not know you cope

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 05:38:05 pm »
I picture him trying to appear nonchanlant as if he hasn't a care in the world and his foots meant to be there whilst trying mentally to find a way to disentangle himself. thank goodness the OH came to the rescue  ;D ;D  :-[
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2011, 09:20:54 am »
One of my Wiltshire Horn managed to get a loop of binder twine from a bale of straw I'd put out for the lambs to play on round one front leg and the opposite horn. When I went to help her, she ran off with a very peculiar gait, as you can imagine. The expression on another ewe's face as she bobbed past was hilarious. It was a real 'What on EARTH are you doing?'look. It still makes me laugh to think of it.
Fortunately I managed to corner her and remove the twine shortly afterwards.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS