Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ducks stopped  (Read 2681 times)

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
ducks stopped
« on: July 15, 2011, 09:54:53 pm »
i have 17 ducks indian runners and campbells, been getting about 15 eggs daily......... but theyve been running down over the last few weeks down no nill eggs this week   no real sign of moulting ??????????????????? not vermin either i dealt with the rats and magpies etc.... also confined them to check so no hiding places for an egg hunt??????????????????

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: ducks stopped
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 10:14:30 pm »
I only have four, three Swedish Blue/Khaki Campbells, and their KC Mum.  Been getting 4 eggs a day since February, now only getting 2.  I wondered why, then noticed feathers on my lawn - they had blown out of the run.  So moult is the reason for mine not laying.  Nothing can get in to steal mine.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 10:39:35 pm »
if they had intentions to go broody they will stop laying for a few days after the nest is gone. I'm surprised it's all of them at the same time, though. Could it be mites or another infestation?  :&>

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 08:07:23 pm »
do ducks get mites etc.... totaly open not housed, just a shelter to go in but they dont use it.,,,i will look for mites tommorow

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 09:30:03 pm »
they can get them but if mine have any I can't do much about it - as I can't catch and dust them like a chicken, only treat the house.
 Are you sure yours can't dide the eggs? I found mine incredibly crafty! :&>

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 08:40:38 am »
Mine have stopped too and the chooks are pretty low as well. Think it's broody/moulting/thinking about both of these!

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 12:41:18 pm »
cant catch ducks??????? they are the easiest of all to catch easier than chickens as they herd.just make up a funnel shapped run out of wire or wood then chuck feed into the entrance the shoo them in and block the entrance.. a fishing net is usefull............. checked for mites none there,????????? ... cant remember if you + or - protien when moulting

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 12:51:45 pm »
That's a lot of ducks!

I have a boy and three layers; one KC has been consistent, one KC has become sporadic, and my IR stopped after she had to go into solitary confinement for her sore leg. I'm sure she'll start laying again soon. Mine are shut up at night, one always lays in their house, and I've found a place outside where one lays after they've been let out. I found it because I noticed that the others were hanging around waiting for her, I went and caught her lurking in overgrowth and when I went back later there was an egg.

I still haven't found where my blooming Cream Legbar chickens are laying though, despite trying to stalk them. They're about 29 weeks now, and have red wattles and combs, so MUST be laying - so frustrating!

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 03:15:45 pm »
if you confime ducks until about 8-9 am they all should have laid. thats what i do confime them in a pen about 20 x 20 ft at night and early am then after theyve laid let them out at 8-9am then i dont have to egg hunt,,,, trouble is if i do find any they have to be smashed as i dont know how long theyve been there. i once found a nest with 30 + in. it was the size of a car wheel..... all had to be smashed...... hens dont lay eary

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 03:52:25 pm »
I missed one this morning - only getting 2 a day just now from 4 girls - one egg in shed when I let them out to their run(about 30 sq m for 5 of them).  Then went out to let them into the paddock at 1 pm and there was an empty shell - magpies got to it first! >:( >:( >:( >:(
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS