Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hoof problems  (Read 3501 times)

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
hoof problems
« on: July 17, 2011, 11:32:44 am »
on checking the lambs today, i've noticed one of their hooves is peeling. can't see any probs with the foot (no rot or imflammation seen)
Well lambs are alot more problematic than pigs!!!!!

:sheep: v's  :pig:
 :pig:win
Mx

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: hoof problems
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 02:03:30 pm »
It happens.  There are a lot of foot problems sheep can get, and many of them cause the hoof to peel.  Sometimes the hoof peels and you never find a cause and the lamb never seems to be lame.  So keep a watching brief.

One thing to watch is if they get a gap form between the foot and the peeling horn, and get a stone or bit of grit stuck in there - then they may go lame or even get an abcess.  You are keeping a good eye on them, so you'll notice if one starts to limp and take action promptly.

I think zinc is supposed to help keep the hooves healthy, and there's a lot of science about which trace elements help or hinder the uptake or use of other trace elements.  Frankly, it's boggling and leaves one thinking it's impossible to keep sheep hooves healthy!

Sorry not to be more help.  Yes, lambs do seem to cause a lot of work - an old Exmoor farmer once said to me, "Sheep's only got two hobbies - what they can eat and what they can die of."  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

waterhouse

Re: hoof problems
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 11:54:54 pm »
We were told that feet should be checked and trimmed every six months. Not Dartmoors. Six weeks more like and we're chopping off huge flaps of horn while our BWM has lovely feet.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS