Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mice  (Read 3006 times)

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
Mice
« on: July 15, 2011, 07:39:31 pm »
My sister in law has had all her greenhouse and veg bed crops totally decimated by mice. She can't keep on top of the problem, and has been trapping them. She doesn't want to use poison because it's horrible and she's worried about the dogs, but everything she plants and grows is constantly being munched, so the problem mice must be numerous. Has anyone had this problem before? She's tearing her hair out with frustration.

Millwood

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Oxfordshire
    • Millwood Market Gardens
Re: Mice
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 08:03:09 pm »
I've had this problem in my greenhouse; I trapped them but in the end had to make sure there was no way any meceymices could get in, floor is paved and I shut the door at night (they were most active at night) They are also around in the field but, having learnt the hard way about what not to grow from seed outside (e.g. beans & peas) we don't seem to have a problem, tho they do like to tunnel around the place! Our biggest problem is a damn mole! >:(
Chooks, ducks, pigs, Bertie the tractor & loadsa veg!
www.themarketgardeneynsham.co.uk
Twitter: @marketgardeneyn

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 10:32:26 pm »
Yes, the mice have suddenly found our polytunnel this week, and we've lost half of the pea crop, and a couple of cabbages too. I've put a couple of traps down, but if that fails to work, I think I'll have to lock the cat in there overnight!!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 11:32:35 pm »
I sprinkle chilli powder - seems to keep them at bay!  has to be renewed after rain though

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 01:35:59 am »
Thanks, guys. Might suggest the chilli powder to her, she's desperate!  :bouquet:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 01:53:38 am »
One year we had a big problem with mice in the polytunnel.  Oddly their favourite thing was lettuce  ??? but they also climbed up the tomato plants to eat the fruit and demolished all the corn cobs.  We trapped them and eventually there were not enough left to be a problem.
For pea and bean seeds, dunking or soaking them in paraffin seems to work and it doesn't taint the crop.  But of course that doesn't stop them eating the pods once they form.  That year they also emptied all the pods of one variety of broad beans outside, but completely ignored the other variety.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 12:19:09 pm »
Mice hear at very high frequencies, so if you can find something that gives off a noise at their  range and above it will put them off coming in the tunnel. I think those mole deterents work like that.It's worth i try if you don't want to actually kill them. But i think it will only work well in an enclosed space.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS