Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: incubating Aylesbury ducks  (Read 3351 times)

madhouse

• Joined Jul 2011
incubating Aylesbury ducks
« on: July 11, 2011, 08:37:08 pm »
Hi folks. I have a mummy duck and a daddy duck who dutifully produce over a dozen fertile eggs each time. Mummy duck sits well, moves eggs etc and then after about three weeks she abandons the nest. I have had the awful job of seeing to the eggs and find them all dead inside, most quite far on in development too! We have now bought an incubator. Any advice on temp, humidity, length of incubation etc would be so fantastic. I would be happy with just one baby duck at the moment to feel hope. We have lost two lots nowand she is back to laying again already!!! Oh and also, has anyone put eggs in the fridge then bought them to temp and incubated??? I look forward to any advice offered!! :&> 

It-needed-a-home

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
  • Zeus (our saxony duck)
Re: incubating Aylesbury ducks
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 09:16:36 am »
Hi there

They are similar to chivkens but 28 days and humidity is about 6070% humidity and up to 90 in last 4-5 days

Thats should do the trick !

Or it could be that in the batch your duck is sitting on there is a bad egg and this could put her off !!! You should try and candle them and remove the bad ones she should do it but maybe not !!

Hope this helps

Good luck
 :cat: :chook: :cow: :cow: :chook: :cow: :chook: :chook: :chook: :&> :&> :&> :&> :farmer: :&>

Well i have cut back and i still have to many !!!! Oh well just as well i love them !!

madhouse

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 01:46:55 pm »
Hi there

They are similar to chivkens but 28 days and humidity is about 6070% humidity and up to 90 in last 4-5 days

Thats should do the trick !

Or it could be that in the batch your duck is sitting on there is a bad egg and this could put her off !!! You should try and candle them and remove the bad ones she should do it but maybe not !!

Hope this helps

Thats brill thanks.
What temp did you have yours at???
Gosh this is tricky business isn't it!!! ???

Good luck
 :cat: :chook: :cow: :cow: :chook: :cow: :chook: :chook: :chook: :&> :&> :&> :&> :farmer: :&>

It-needed-a-home

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
  • Zeus (our saxony duck)
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 06:57:59 am »
Between 37- 39 ducks are harder than chickens to deal with !
Well i have cut back and i still have to many !!!! Oh well just as well i love them !!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS