Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goats, eggs, and poo...  (Read 1763 times)

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
Goats, eggs, and poo...
« on: July 13, 2011, 11:22:18 pm »

One of our goats, Bella, has just these last couple of days started producing quite sloppy poo instead of the more usual little berries. Her companion, Flash, isn't doing this.

Now I just happened to catch Bella with her head inside the henhouse earlier today, and coincidentally the egg supply has just dropped off the scale.

I'm wondering whether this naughty girl has discovered she can reach the nest box and has been scoffing the eggs, hence the runny poo.

Does this make sense?

If so, is it likely to be bad for her? (Other than p*$$ing me off, that is)

Short of electrifying the henhouse what can I try to put her off this?

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
Re: Goats, eggs, and poo...
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 06:02:03 am »
Goats will eat eggs... indeed I have caught mine occassionally helping themselves.  Never had them eat enough to cause scout tho'  but it is possible that it would be the end result.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 06:22:09 am »
If she has also got her head into the chicken feed it will give her the runs.... sometimes quite badly. There is something in chicken food that makes ALL other far animals, inlcuding the dogs go mad for it.

If she ate the eggs wouldn't she at least leave the shells? Or will the hens finish them off?

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 07:59:58 pm »

She might have gotten a few but earlier today I found two clutches of half a dozen each, so that explains the empty nest boxes.

Her poo is a lot more normal looking today.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS