Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Looking for a rare breed Scottish hardy sheep - which do you recommend  (Read 8923 times)

elfirin

• Joined May 2011
  • Fife
Thanks everyone, this is very useful and great to get lots of different perspectives on things. Love the pics of the Shetlands and Castlemilks!

We want a small and easy-to-do sheep anyway, and definitely a native/rare breed, so we don't need a larger breed. There's just the two of us with extra for family and friends so these small breeds should be just right. We also want to mature them longer for better flavour and so we can make best use of the rayburn with slow cooking.

Have already found our local abattoir which is not far (as the OH also wants pigs but that's another story).

Andrew, if we decide on the shetlands I'll pm you regarding the wethers and taking a look, thanks for the offer.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
Fleecewife wrote:
Our Heb gigots average at about 2.5 kgs, so over 5lbs, which is surely big enough for most families?

hee hee I get 1kg for a 16 mo  ouessant. A gigot  was described in 1898 as a meal for two. The meat is dark and sweet and nothing like anything else I have tasted.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 05:02:08 pm by kanisha »
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

princesspiggy

we have borerays and they are so sweet and gentle, not too big to handle and superb soft fleeces, u shud def consider these. wev had soay and hebrideans before and borerays are by far my favourite. ( they are also the rarest so need a bit of support)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS