Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: They have arrived!  (Read 6741 times)

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
They have arrived!
« on: July 11, 2011, 08:19:43 pm »
Well, after months of deliberation we have finally taken the plunge and managed to get hold of a Jersey X with calf (she's a beautiful little belgian blue X).  They arrived yesterday and mum is already coming to the bucket - she's come from one of the reasonably large dairy outfits (90 milkers, amongst others) around here so wasn't sure quite how she was going to settle in- fingers crossed everything is going ok so far!

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
Re: They have arrived!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 09:02:45 pm »
Well done Captain!  Hope they settle in Ok with you.
Are you planning to milk the Jersey yourselves? The calf will also make an ideal smallholders cow one day. Tim Tyne (VSS on here) raves about the Jersey B/B cross as a housecow.

Keep us posted as to how you get on.

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 09:46:51 pm »
I'm going to be massively smug, I don't usually and am quite reserved however; went over to their paddock and erected a little milking stall out of three hurdles with the fence acting as the barrier between her and I.  Have been across earlier with a bucket and some nuts and got her to come to the bucket.  Just been across tonight with some more, I rattled the bucket and she came wondering over with calf, straight into stall.  Just milked a reasonably large jug of milk, a bit slow to getting started (I've only ever checked ewes are in milk!) but really got into the swing of it!!!

I think we're going to have a really good relationship with 'Betty'.  It's interesting what you say about her calf, 'Mooey', becoming a house cow - we were just going to raise her for meat and send her off in 18 months or so?

princesspiggy

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 11:44:08 pm »
WELL DONE  ;D
wev another year before even thinking about milking! and wev only milked goats before. youv done well  :wave:

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 09:27:41 am »
I would definately think about keeping the calf on - obviously there is a lot that can change between now and the time you need to make any decision about the calf, but BBxJersey really do make good house cows. We managed to buy in a couple of BBxJ cross calves this year - they are not easy to find! They will be grown on as replacements for our current cows who are getting on a bit.

Would be interested to know what your JerseyX is crossed with?

Crofter - it's usually Mrs VSS on this forum!
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 10:45:28 am »
Congratulations! Hope you enjoy your milk  ;D

Oh, I HOPE ours are in calf.

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 11:54:57 am »
Mum is Jersey X Friesien, very pretty, great milk but on a (relatively) small frame.  Really calm too which is a god send as we didn't know how she was going to work out, fingers crossed all good so far...  We came across her as back quarters are 'shot' so no good for milking in the commercial herd she came from, luckily she came to us!!!

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 01:23:16 pm »
please can we see a picture  :wave:

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 04:04:19 pm »
yarp, as soon as I get a clear 15 minutes; fencing 10 acres into sizeable paddocks at the moment amongst other projects to get the place ship-shape.

I think they have become the new favourite animal on the holding!

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 04:49:04 pm »
Sorry Mrs VSS!  Didn't know if it was you Dot, or Tim. My appologies ;D

Captain, even with 2 quarters down I'm sure there's plenty for the calf and a little for you too.

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 07:50:49 pm »
I don't know what the technical term is but there's plenty of milk in them!!!  Any tips on hand milking - I think my hands may be a bit big (or my fingers too long?) as I get massively bad cramp.  Think I may just need the practice!!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 11:57:42 pm »
Any tips on hand milking - I think my hands may be a bit big (or my fingers too long?) as I get massively bad cramp.  Think I may just need the practice!!!

Err, yup.  To an extent it hurts until you get used to it!  To reduce aches and cramps it's important to get yourself really comfortable under her, so you aren't having to hold the weight of your arms up, aren't having to stretch forward too much, etc.  I sit on an upended large (80kg) mineral tub (empty I hasten to add), plastic bucket clenched between my calves, head against her flank, my elbows on my thighs and my hands resting naturally then under the nearest teats.  It'll help if you can arrange to milk her when her belly isn't full of bulky grass - sometimes I get a crick in my neck and shoulder doing the front pair if Hillie's had a very large breakfast!

When I first started I had the pail on the ground, but it really is much more comfortable and less tiring with it clasped between the calves.

As you and she get used to each other it will get easier, when she really lets the milk down you need to do very little to keep it flowing. 

Betty's a lucky girl to find a good home with only 2 quarters working.  Enjoy her - and enjoy that beautiful creamy milk!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 06:21:26 pm »
Sorry for my tardiness but I've been a busy bee this summer, pictures as promised!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 08:58:39 pm »
Betty-moo-tiful!  Everything still going well? 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Miss Piggy

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Cardigan Bay, Ceredigion
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 09:08:45 pm »
They are both beautiful, enjoy them.  :cow: :cow: thanks  for the pics. Anne

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS