Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sexing Araucana's  (Read 3901 times)

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
Sexing Araucana's
« on: July 11, 2011, 04:39:01 pm »
I have two beautiful lavender araucana chicks - about 12 weeks old.  They were both sold to me as female and although they both look almost identical, one of them has starting making funny noises.  Not even sure how to describe the noise but it has made me wonder if Pru should now be a Pete??  In addition to the noise, Pru is storming around with a bit more attitude than previously, although still shy compared to my Scots Greys, Dumpys and Marsh Daisy's.  Does anyone have any advice re sexing them or any other reasons for the weird croaking noise coming from beautiful Pru??  :love: :chook: ???

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
Re: Sexing Araucana's
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 06:55:09 pm »
Hi previous post will show I am not good at sexing  ;D ;D ;D But we previously had confirmed females, all layed very happily - silkie bantums and two of them crowed. Not a bird expert and might be a bread thing but also might not be Pete

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 08:06:57 pm »
I think she may just be a masculine Pru but I'll have to wait and see.  Thankfully, it will cause me no problem either way really.  Might be nice to have a boy to keep the others in line ha ha

nails

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Somerset
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 09:15:42 am »
I keep Lavender Arry's, the females tend to get a bit of a crest of feathers, the comb on the boys is a lot wider, and they don't seem to have the crest like the girls, i wait till they are older 16 weeks or so and you can normally tell. They are late layers as well can be 26-30 weeks before you start getting eggs. Hope that is of some help, i have only been keeping chooks a couple of years so no expert.

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 10:39:03 pm »
Thanks for all your help - I'll keep you posted on Pru x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS