Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: first of probably lots of silly questions  (Read 3022 times)

Ionahenatlast

• Joined Jul 2011
first of probably lots of silly questions
« on: July 22, 2011, 08:53:08 pm »
Hi there, picked up some ex batts last night, they range from a bit bare to a LOT bare, but they seem to be settling, I was wondering though if they will ever actually use their perches, is it something that will come to them when they are feeling more secure? At the moment they are all huddling together and either squeezing into their nesting boxes or just outside them.
Thanks

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Re: first of probably lots of silly questions
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 09:54:17 pm »
Some will, some won't. I don't think it matters really though a lot of people seem very concerned if their birds don't perch.

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 10:48:14 pm »
Being ex-batts, they'll not be used to having perches, so won't know what to do with them. They might get the idea eventually, but the phrase 'bird brain' was invented for chickens  ::) ;D
Some folks go in after dusk and lift them onto perches, to kinda give them the idea.
I don't have any ex-batts, but some of my chooks sleep on the floor, some go on the perches (various heights) and two even squash themselves onto the high shelf which was supposed to be for cleaning stuff  ::)
As long as they're happy and healthy - it doesn't really matter  ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 11:26:37 pm »
I have two perches and a long shelf 2 feet off the floor.  My exbatts roost, my 2 Light Sussex sleep in the nesting box with a warren.  Previoulsy the LS roosted and the exbatts were on the floor - don't know why they changed! ::)  Yup, bird brains all right! ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Ionahenatlast

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 08:39:37 am »
Thanks for your replies, i'm like a first time mum, read all the books etc but  not knowing exactly what to expect until they arrive then worrying myself sick about them lol, don't think i've went into a deep sleep for the past two nights just "in case"  ;D
I've been out and opened their door up for them this morning and though they're not venturing out it's lovely to see the baldest of them all basking in the sun thats shining through.

crispin70

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 02:33:19 pm »
they will be fine. ours did well even in a flock of confident and quite bolshy hens and cockerels. they blossom and enjoy life to the full. ours never did join the others on the perches, but, apart from dirty nesting boxes, it doesn't make any real difference. just enjoy watching their feathers grow and their relative tameness compared to 'normal' free range birds.

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 03:50:09 pm »
We had 10 ex-batts and they always squeezed into 3 nest boxes - the only downsize really is the nest boxes generally get pretty mucky which is  a bit of a pain, resulting in dirty eggs.
Enjoy!
 :chook: :chook:

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 08:46:00 am »
Please ask lots of beginner questions - I'll be learning from the responses too ;D
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Heather

• Joined Sep 2010
  • West Yorkshire
  • Hi, I live in Yorkshire and keep a few chickens
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 09:32:20 am »
Thanks for your replies, i'm like a first time mum, read all the books etc but  not knowing exactly what to expect until they arrive then worrying myself sick about them lol, don't think i've went into a deep sleep for the past two nights just "in case"  ;D
I've been out and opened their door up for them this morning and though they're not venturing out it's lovely to see the baldest of them all basking in the sun thats shining through.
I can soooooooo relate to this!  My venture into chickens was the first time I had 'pets' out of doors.  Any noise outside would have me out of bed and rushing to the window. Good luck with them :)
Heather

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS