Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: new to sheep what do i need to do  (Read 6240 times)

littlemisspiggy!

• Joined Sep 2010
  • NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
    • just left of the 20th century
new to sheep what do i need to do
« on: July 10, 2011, 05:28:15 pm »
ive read the books etc..but would like some live! real advice!! :D

i got 3 orphan lambs at 6 weeks old,wormed and fed on the bottle til a few weeks ago then had creep for a bit now very big n healthy (texel x's) and on grass with a handfull of feed every now and then to keep em coming to me..now 18 weeks old give or take..what do i do between now and november when slaughtered? what injections??..i worm every 6 weeks so ive got that sorted,feet also im fine with..but wwhat would you be doing? i dont want to mess up or miss anything for them! ???..thanks... :sheep: :wave:
'can't rain all the time!'

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: new to sheep what do i need to do
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 08:25:33 pm »
I always heptavac my whole flock of lambs, even the ones that go for slaughter before Xmas. But that's my personal choice, with only 3 to do it may be too expensive, as smallest dose you can buy is 25 lambs and you would need two bottles of that....

Other than that just watch out for flystrike, any lameness  (most likely to be scald) or anything else that may crop up. Why do you worm every six weeks? Is there a problem on your land? If not they shouldn't need it. If they only go to abattoir in Nov make sure you know if you have fluke on your land (previous owners or vet may know about it), if yes you would be better taking them a bit earlier, Oct/Nov is fluke dosing time and then they cannot go to slaughter for 56 (or whatever the withdrawal period for the product you would be using is) days.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 08:30:16 pm »
Exactly what the lady says  :) Not much will go wrong, flystrike is the obvious one in summer, we treat ours with Crovect every 4-6 weeks against the maggots.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 11:47:28 pm »
Why are you waitig until november to slaughter? I would think they will be nearly ready and certainly by September! Remember the grass quality goes down from September and you will end up feeding them to keep the weight up....
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

littlemisspiggy!

• Joined Sep 2010
  • NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 12:12:24 pm »
OH,RIGHT I ASKED THE LADY FARMER I  GOT THEM OFF WHEN SHE TAKES HERS SO THATS ALL I'D GOT TO GO ON REALLY?? :-\ THEY ARE A DECENT SIZE AND WOULD RATHER TAKE THEM SEPTEMBER SO I THINK I'LL DO THAT THEN :)

AS FOR WORMING..NO PROBS HERE,FARMER TOLD ME TO DO EVERY 6 WEEKS? SHE HAS FARMED OVER A 1000 SHEEP ON THE HILL FARM FOR OVER 40 YEARS SO I JUST WENT ON THE FACT SHE MUST BE RIGHT??? ???

WHAT DO YOU DO?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 10:54:16 pm »
If these came onto your land BEFORE they were eating grass (as in they were babies) and your land did not have sheep or goats on it for at least one year it can be regarded as worm free - so no need to worm them at all.

I would definitely send them away a bit earlier than Nov, if they are a decent size.

littlemisspiggy!

• Joined Sep 2010
  • NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 04:40:44 pm »
will do anke  ;),all the above is right,no other sheep been on land ever....and yes they came out of a barn so never on grass before..

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 02:57:03 pm »
Sorry to sort of hi-jack the thread a bit but on a newbie-sheep thing, my lambs I've had since March. Now I've yet to trim their feet. I understand I need to trim them but how, and how will I know? They don't look overly long, no signs of discomfort etc but would be keen to hear how often is 'normal' with everyone?

Mx
http://selfridgestoscats.blogspot.com  **NOW UPDATED**
twitter - @southscouse

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 05:23:11 pm »
Hi Melholly.  How often sheeps feet need to be trimmed depends on a lot of factors such as the breed and age of the sheep, how wet it is underfoot, if they have hard standing or rocks to climb on, and if there is any footrot present in the ground.   If you haven't done it before then you really do need a demo by someone who knows what they are doing before you have a go yourself as you can hit some blood vessels very easily.  You can get foot shears from your agric merchant - the serrated type are by far the best.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 06:02:13 pm »
Melholly, Definately take Fleecwife's advice - watch someone else do it, several times before having a go. Look in the internet for video demos as well.

Even so, the first time you make a sheep's foot bleed you will have a shock because it will bleed BIG TIME -even for the tiniest nick!!! I mean it drip, drip, drips, like crazy!! You are left holding this foot as the ground quickly goes red, and you know your first aid kit with the bandages and the suture set are in the house, and the ground is all muddy, and  if you let it go what if it gets infected..... OK so that sounds awlfully melodramatic, but its sort of true!!

I hate making them bleed, so much so that i went and got this special glue which orthopoedic surgeons use to glue the skin together after a hip replacement. Its great. stops the bleeding quickly, and has antibiotic properties. I also used to use a dog bootie...when i was younger and paranoid... :o :o

At least, if you have a few lessons from someone else, you know you are only going to do the minimum of harm when you do make a wee mistake!!
Emma T
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 09:35:21 pm »
Hi Melholly - if you don't have anyone nearby to watch doing the pedicure for your sheep - don't worry. I didn't and as yet (3 years later) have not made a sheep's foot bleed.

There are a number of books that have some good pictures on foot trimming in it, for example "Lameness in sheep" by Agnes Winter. I find that the best foot shears are the lightweight ones, for example I use a "Bluelite" one as sold by Ascott amongst others. I know others will disagree, but if you have smaller hands they will be better grip. But they are very sharp. Plan to do it on a day when the grass is wet, so their horn is soft. If there is a lot of mud/dung etc on their feet have a bucket/sponge/brush ready and wash the foot, so you can see what is horn. Only take a smuch as you feel comfortable, better doing it once more in a few weeks time than to cut too much in one go. Also would be handy to have two of you doing the job at the beginning, so one can concentrate on keeping the sheep on its bum while the other looks at the foot/cuts. Once you have done a few it becomes quite routine. I would normally do my ewes twice a year - at turning out after lambing and again just before the tup goes in. Otherwise only when I see one being lame.

Hope this helps, and lots of purple spray on the foot after cutting if you suspect even mild footrot (blue engemycin spray if there is scald).

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 01:07:25 am »
Sorry to sort of hi-jack the thread a bit but on a newbie-sheep thing, my lambs I've had since March. Now I've yet to trim their feet. I understand I need to trim them but how, and how will I know? They don't look overly long, no signs of discomfort etc but would be keen to hear how often is 'normal' with everyone?

Defra, vets and me would all say, don't trim if you don't need to.  Yes inspect twice annually if you can (and if there's a problem, of course) but don't feel obliged to trim unless there's a reason.

If you have a chance to go to a 'proper' agricultural show or other event where Eblex are attending they will have lots of really good materials on feet and very helpful experts to show you their example feet and talk you through what to do and not to do.  North Sheep was in June, but they'll be at the Game Fair on Friday, have an open session on sheep lameness in Skipton on July 28th.  You can look for events in your area on their website at http://www.eblex.org.uk/events/index.aspx

HTH
Sally
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 07:36:51 am »
It seems this year that there is more reason than normal to trim and treat feet. This may be localised but my vets are confirming the same. I have never in previous years had to trim lambs feet (maybe i have been lucky) but this year their feet have been growing over and under at an alarming rate. I seem to be having an ongoing problem with scald with the adults this year, too! The longish wet grass isnt helping, but I feel it is more than that....So far i have avoided actual footrot but I am having the catch and treat one of them almost on a weekly basis!!!

Emma T
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 11:32:38 am »
My goodness! So many helpful replies, thank you. 4 of mine are Polled Dorsets, the other 3 are Beltex X. I have a helpful farmer just up the road so no doubt will ask him for help when time comes. I just didn't want to sound like even more of an idiot asking him blind about sheeps manicure requirements!

I must admit I am taking my sheep for granted - each day they are there, just being well..sheep. No dramas, they are healthy, happy, no manky feet , dodgy bums etc. So I must get more into a habit of giving them a weekly check. They are my lawnmowers and hopefully I'm going to 'borrow' a ram for the 2 Polled Dorset Mums. Now I know I have to do this around November for spring lambs but, aside from leaning on local farmer again, I have no idea where to start! If I googled 'ram hire' it's not going to bring up favourable websites...!!! lol

Mx
http://selfridgestoscats.blogspot.com  **NOW UPDATED**
twitter - @southscouse

littlemisspiggy!

• Joined Sep 2010
  • NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 02:14:23 pm »
type 'sheep for stud' or 'ram standing at stud' that way you might get the right web site!! ;) :D

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS