Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Making hay with lots of clover in  (Read 6888 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Making hay with lots of clover in
« on: July 09, 2011, 10:25:47 pm »
This year we will be making hay for a neighbour in a field with masses of clover.  Does anyone know of this will slow down the making/drying?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

robert waddell

Re: Making hay with lots of clover in
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 10:37:38 pm »
red or white clover :farmer:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 12:32:32 am »
Hi Robert  :wave:  It's white clover so quite short.  The grass, which is mostly timothy, is sparse in places and thick in others, but where it's sparse there's masses of the clover.  We have made hay with some clover in before but never this much.

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 10:34:38 am »
timothy grass if you can pull the seed head from the plant (easily) there is to much sap in the plant to make hay in a short period with the clover in the mix it will take longer to dry to an acceptable level to prevent mould forming             the timothy could end up like sticks before the clover has dried enough           you are going to get an uneven drying rate as i visualise it         round bale haylage would be the alternative   
or a return to the old days(weather permitting)cut in the morning  turn during the day and ruck or quoil in the evening
as i am typing i can visualize the heady smell of sweat and sweetmeadow hay both filling the air  :farmer:old :farmer:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 11:36:21 am »
Thanks Robert - that's what I'm worried about.  No chance of haylage - don't have the equipment or the money  :(  We are used to working and watching the hay carefully as it's always a dance with the weather up here.  Always takes at least the 5 days, unless we have a heatwave which has happened twice in the past 16 years  :)  The forecast for the next week is mostly sunshine but with some rain, but no wind.  And of course a bearing has just gone on the tedder...no prob as OH is my mechanical hero but such things always choose their time.
So we will be prepared to watch it all closely and work it carefully.  I'm hoping that as the crop overall is fairly light the clover will get a better opportunity to dry than if it had a heavier grass content.  All that timothy isn't ideal for our sheep as they like something much more varied, but seems to suit the neighbour's horses - too much clover for them though so they are thinking of killing it off.  Hmm - we encourage clover here as we don't use fertilisers, just dung as it falls, raked over and of course clover makes all that lovely nitrogen out of thin air and sunshine  8).

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 01:18:08 pm »
small square bale it then wrap it depends on the amount of bales you are likely to get   or if you can still get silage bags pop them in vacuum out the surplus air and tie  time consuming but you you have the best of both worlds          that was the principle behind round bale silage to start with
everybody wants free nitrogen you just have to work at it  :farmer:

cooper956

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 01:04:21 pm »
when the wether is right just cut it and seeyou just have to make the best you can if you carnt make haylage m8 made his hay few weeks ago had some thick crop and some light and quite a bit of clover about in te same feild so all got baled at same time some was a litele green and the odd heavey bale but its looking fine in the shed now and better than last years i think sometimes you just find the odd cakey bale but im talking 5 or 6 bales out of 300 so not a problem.
just pick the best week of wether and go for it and if one bit of the feild is still greener than another dont be afraid to go back  and do that bit a extra time on a good day
i have one feild that always has very heavey crop on about 4 rows at the top i ted the lot then do another feild then on way back ted just te top again seams to work but you doo need some good sun or a nice warm breze

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 03:52:44 pm »
We've gone for it  ;D  OH mowing now so fingers crossed the forecasters have got it right.  Will report back on how the clover affects the end product  :farmer:

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 09:00:19 pm »
Am watching this thread with interest!!   ;D

cooper956

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 10:36:03 pm »
well mines all down now to mowed half on sunday and the rest today hopefully baleing first lot tomorow :) more clover than iv ever seen in the first lot 2nd lot hasent as much

cooper956

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 11:12:23 pm »
now all safely in the shed  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS