Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The most delicious eggs..........Ever!  (Read 5185 times)

gillandtom

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Stirling
The most delicious eggs..........Ever!
« on: February 11, 2009, 01:33:48 pm »
I just have to say I am now totally converted......  Our 2 hens Rosie and Percie have just started Laying and I have just had the most delicious boiled eggs for lunch.  I was so surprised at the difference from the shop bought ones even the free range ones.  Our eggs just seemed so much more solid (less wobbly?) and had more eating in them.  The white was much firmer and you really had to scoop it out the shell and the yolk was much bigger and very flavoursome.

I am just being biased as they came from my hens or is this the case for everyone else's back yard poultry?

:chook:

pegusus pig

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Anglesey, North wales
Re: The most delicious eggs..........Ever!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 02:38:34 pm »
Theres nothing better than your own produce, allways tastes better than shop bought stuff, and you know whats gone in to it!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D :pig: :pig: :chook:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 02:41:47 pm »
Yes, you are biased - so is everyone else who has their own hens!  I think anyone who has a garden should be encouraged to own a couple of hens.  Way to go!!!!! 
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

juliag

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Wanstrow somerset
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 05:42:31 pm »
EXCELLENT. It makes it all worth while doesnt it, the biggest kick I have ever had was selling my first box of eggs from the gate, (white van pulled up and man got out, £1. in jar and away he went). next biggest kick was when the same man came back the next morning and bought 2 more boxes!!! :D :D
juliag

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 05:47:17 pm »
I have made loads of friends by selling my duck and hens eggs - has definitely helped make my move 150 miles form home much easier.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 06:25:45 pm »
Now you have the eggs what about making a start on your own bacon ......?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 09:24:11 am »
No, she's doing meat chickens next, aren't you Gill?

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 06:19:10 pm »
or ducks  :&>

gillandtom

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Stirling
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 09:51:41 am »
 :pig:         :chook:       :&>

Pigs... meat birds..... ducks...... I have caught the bug - I want them all!

x x Gill

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 10:03:42 am »
If you want some fertile eggs to get started with ducks, I'll be down your way in 3 weeks time (Thursday the 5th). I'd be more than happy to bring a box or more for anyone from the Stirling area who wants them (to spread the duck bug). Just in case you don't have enough to share, Annie! :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 11:05:19 am »
Myfirst duck egg of the year appeared yesterday, and another today.  I think it might be because I felt sorry for them and put absolutely LOADS of straw in their shed!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 11:34:52 am »
That surprises me, Annie. Our K Campbells were laying non-stop all through the winter, just the wee black one and the Indian Runner stopped for a couple of months and have been back laying on and off for about 2 weeks or so. Maybe they put them in the garden? :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS