Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: when to trim tomato foliage?  (Read 1889 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
when to trim tomato foliage?
« on: July 09, 2011, 09:22:56 am »
I'm not sure if it's to early. Quite a few fruit on them now but there might be more if I leave them alone? Never done this before but never had a crop in a tunnel before eithe, the question never arose with my attempts on growing them outdoors  ;) :&>

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Re: when to trim tomato foliage?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 10:20:29 am »
 As soon as they start producing side shoots (the little "third leg" between the stem And a branch) - pull those off. Then as they get bigger the lower leaves. Try to aim for a main stem that goes straight up that you can tie in
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: when to trim tomato foliage?
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 11:16:46 am »
What variety and type are you growing?  You only take out the side shoots on tomatoes which are indeterminate ie they would just go on and on growing in all directions if you don't (I think that's what they are called)  For determinate and bush types you don't need to take out the side shoots although it is a good idea to limit the number of stems somewhat or you get problems with crowding and poor air circulation.  Cherry types such as Sakura which I grow in my tunnel will go on ripening a few fruit into December if you let them - they pook pretty scruffy by then.
I remove lower leaves (deleafing) when they start to turn a bit yellow or faded, so when they are no longer really effective at photosynthesis - this lets air circulate.  Only remove leaves below trusses, not ahead of them.
When you remove side shoots and leaves be very careful to snap them off cleanly as any wounds may let in diseases, rots and blight.
You would stop the top growth when you estimate that any new flowers would not have time to develop and ripen before the end of the season - this depends of course on the size of the fruit.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 11:18:24 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS