Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Peas and mangetouts  (Read 4129 times)

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
Peas and mangetouts
« on: July 09, 2011, 08:56:42 am »
OK the peas are now cropping quite heavily and I'm guessing the ones that aren't swelling will be the mangetout cos sadly I put the rows too close and they're growing in and out of each other ::)  But they might just be younger pea pods that haven't swelled yet ???

I've obviously seen frozen peas but never frozen mangetout - is it just a crop you have to eat fresh or can they be frozen and re-used later?

and if I get it wrong and eat normal peapods that are just younger, is that a problem? I've picked and eaten a couple of odd ones in passing but am needing to harvest some pods so more will hopefully grow and what i have won't be eaten by other little mouths ::)

Any tips on how to sort, separate, pick and store the peas and mangetouts?  I've never had success with either before so it's a new one for me :) 
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Peas and mangetouts
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 11:31:43 am »
Possibly the way to tell the mangetout from the podding peas is by eating some raw - if they are stringy and tough then leave them to fill out as they will be the podders.  Mangetout are usually very flat and you can see the peas as tiny dots along one side.  Podding peas are usually much more substantial even when the peas are small ie thicker pod walls.  Once you work out which is which you will quickly recognise them again.  Mangetout are best eaten quite young, although some varieties are much larger than others - up to 4" (10cms) long.  Much more difficult to tell apart are sugar snap peas which are thick and juicy, but again by eating some raw you can tell which are the fibrous podding peas and which are the tasty sugar snaps.
MT can be frozen - I snap them in half and blanche briefly then open freeze so they can be shoogled about afterwards otherwise they stick together in a lump in the freezer. They are not totally wonderful when eventually cooked after freezing as it is easy to overcook them.
My podding peas never get as far as the freezer, but I would do them the same way - pod, blanche brieflly then open freeze, as soon after picking as you can so small batches.  Then you could make peapod wine  :)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
Re: Peas and mangetouts
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 12:17:09 pm »
You really are the fount of all knowledge. (Peapod wine? Liking the sound of that!)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS