Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: my horse keeps putting his tounge over his bit  (Read 7518 times)

Ace

• Joined Jul 2011
my horse keeps putting his tounge over his bit
« on: July 08, 2011, 11:21:45 pm »
hi all new here any help will be greatly appreciated,i have a 3 yr old cob x trotter he keeps putting his tounge over his bit teeth been done so no prob there,bought loads of different bits mostly snaffle.But also bought a straight rubber bit that didnt work so then bought a pee wee bit guaranteed to stop your horse putting the tounge over the bit,that didnt work only way i can stop him doing it is with a snaffle with keys on.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: my horse keeps putting his tounge over his bit
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 08:56:02 am »
You could try a bitless bridle. I've just bought one for my Shetland who isn't happy being bitted. Dr Cook's is the make.

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 10:32:46 am »
My very strong cob used to do this all the time out hunting; with some help i did cure him of it. I hate to say it but lots of schooling will help, teaching him to accept the bit and look for it rather than evading it and opening his mouth up to get his tongue over. also a drop noseband will stop him opening his mouth too far. but i honestly have to say i think it is down to schooling and teaching the horse to accept and drop his head onto the bit by engaging his backend.
Try to stop him with your seatbones and back muscles rather than hands. All sounds so easy on paper but not in practice.I know how you feel and it is very frustrating.
Bitless bridles can be useful but beware they can put tremendous preasure on his poll depending on what one you use

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 11:13:03 am »
Sounds like its become a bit of a habit now  :-\    This might sound obvious, but have you got it high enough in his mouth?    8)
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 06:25:13 pm »
Have you taught him the one rein stop?

Ace

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 12:01:10 am »
cheers for the replys yes the bit is high enough in his mouth,like to know what the 1 rein stop is though.havent got any problem stopping him or turning him just looks ugly stops doing it after 5 mins im thinking its boredome.and now he knows how to do it its becoming a habit.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 06:12:50 pm »
rubber bits rarely work with youngsters.

When I have this problem... to save buying yet more bits,  I use a mullen mouth pelham set slightly higher in the mouth than a snaffle.  Obviously it is not used as a pelham merely to use the mouthpiece. Once they accept that getting the tongue over is difficult, it usually stops.

Is your snaffle bit a little on the large side... this would give sufficient room to manoevre the tongue over.  You could, for a few days, use a bit that is ideally too small... a snug fit...  possibly one with cheeks.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 06:18:03 pm »
We've had exactly the same problem (trotter) and tried the same solutions. What noseband are you using? You may need to use a flash.

:horse:

princesspiggy

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 04:32:34 pm »
if hes only 3, have u bitted him properly when u started to break him in. it is normal to place the bit on the low side when first introducing it, so he can play with it and find the most comfortable place to hold it himself. when he accepts the bit, then raise it into the correct position. it should have 2 wrinkles on the lips which should "unwrinkle" if u pull down on the cheekpieces.
we usually ride younsgters on 2 reins at first, one attached to the bit, then the 2nd rein attched to the "dually headcollar" which he was started in. this might be helpful to you if u lose control when his tongue so over.

there are other options but as he is only 3 , id start from scratch again.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 11:29:05 pm »
cheers for the replys yes the bit is high enough in his mouth,like to know what the 1 rein stop is though.havent got any problem stopping him or turning him just looks ugly stops doing it after 5 mins im thinking its boredome.and now he knows how to do it its becoming a habit.

One Rein Stop
But it is something that needs to be taught properly startig from the groundwork

By the way this is how I solved the problem of Blue putting her tongue over the bit ;D

princesspiggy

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2011, 02:29:57 pm »
how r u getting on?  :wave:

Ace

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 01:40:19 am »
to be honest just riding him as he is,he settles after about 5 mins of the bit being in and stops on comand.ican get him to canter and walk also stop by just talking to him i have full contol of him the way he is,i think until he does something wrong or keeps his tounge over the bit il leave it  :-

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 02:05:51 pm »
So long as he doesn't get his mouth hurt I think you're probably right to leave him alone - sounds like he's happier that way.  Have fun. ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

princesspiggy

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 07:03:15 pm »
did u mouth him with a normal bit or one with keys? the keys might keep him occupied until he gets used to it. it sounds like he hasnt got used to feel of a bit yet but that takes time. u can still rid him with a bitless bridle for control, even while hes wearing a bit. hes still a baby, good luck  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS