Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sick duckling - weak legs and gasping - any ideas what it is?  (Read 11891 times)

Tina Turkey

• Joined Oct 2007
Hi everyone, last night I found one of our 2 week old Rouen ducklings laying on its back paddling its legs in the air.  Oops I thought, hes got pushed over by the others but then I realised that each time he righted himself, he flopped right back over and couldnt stand on his legs.  He was totally uncoordinated and wobbly.  I isolated him from the others and put him in a box with a shallow bowl of water.

He couldnt stand at all and was laying on his side pushing his legs out trying to gain purchase to stand up.  He was also gasping permanently and making no sound at all.

Totally expecting to find him a gonner this morning I was really suprised to see him standing up and he was chirping a bit (not as much as a healthy duckling would, but much better than last night).  His legs are still a bit weak but deffo a marked improvement.  His eyes are a little watery but nothing major.

I have trawled the net and seen possibilities like botulism, New Duck Disease ... then it occurred to me that I bought a new duckling food yesterday from a new supplier - I didnt check the ingredients and I would not be suprised if it is chick crumbs - just on my way down to check the others but wanted to post this first as once I start work I dont get to check the pc very much.

Thanks!
M

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Sick duckling - weak legs and gasping - any ideas what it is?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 08:36:06 am »
Some people will tell you that the anticoccidiostat in chick crumbs makes no difference to duckings. Well, I've had ones where it didn't, but where it did, it was like this, wobbly and unco-ordinated. One died before i knew . Get him onto unmedicated crumbs fast and i think you'll find he mends - the rest of mine did.

For what it's worth, Avatec (in Farmgate chick crumbs) seems to be an issue for ducklings whereas amprolium is less of a problem. And of course, individuals vary in their sensitivity.

Hope they're all ok soon  :-*

Tina Turkey

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 09:20:33 am »
Thanks so much.  Ive just checked and there appears to be no coccistats or whatever they are called in the crumbs ... but this is France and younever know!!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 10:58:06 am »
You can make your own emergency food for ducklings with oatmeal and scrambled egg added. Some like it soaked in milk. Try him on this and see how he goes. Fingers crossed.

Tina Turkey

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 01:35:14 pm »
Ah brilliant!  Thanks, I will do that straight away.  Have given him a little chopped lettuce and he nibbled at it.  I am pretty sure now that its the food because before I had posted this question I gave him a little more of the chick food and 30 mins later he was on his back with his legs in the air again!

How bizarre.  All the others are fine though but I will give them the oatmeal and egg just to be on the safe side until I can get to the shops. 

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 07:39:15 pm »
Eggs and oatmeal, that's a good tip I'll try that jaykay.  We have always used breadcrumbs (in the magimix so they're tiny) mixed with milk to sloppy consistency or weetabix and milk.  All our little Muscovies go mad for it and we've never had any problems.  We do worm them at 4 weeks though.  We did have 5 die last year however - they were late born mid September, and they died one by one, very upsetting.  We had an autopsy done so we new where we went wrong but turned out it was pneumonia.  A couple did turn over with legs in the air - one actually on the pond and I couldn't reach it to help it out.  Very sad.  You do feel hopeless sometimes when you can't help them. Hope your story turns out well TT.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Tina Turkey

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 06:36:18 am »
Thanks both,

When I went down this morning he was still there - again I really didnt expect him to make another night.

He just stands wedged into the corner of the box so he cant fall over - its awful.  His cannot balance at all.

I tried the egg and oatmeal but he wouldnt touch it - he didnt seem to like the consistency so I tried him with just dry oats (the type you make porridge out of) and he is nibbling on them so, although its not much, at least there is a tiny bit in him just to sustain him.

Will go to the shops today and get better crumbs for him and see how he goes after that but I cant stand to watch him like this poor little thing.

One of his eyes has a bit of discharge - I am getting a bit concerned that it could be a more serious condition.

:(

zeeteecee

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 08:33:59 am »
So upetting when there's something wrong and you're trying to work it out - been there many times myself!
with all the rolling about on the floor, he may just need to wash his eyes out.

if you are worried he's not eating then try a little 'forcefeeding' so that you know he's got energy to recover.  I dont know if you've ever done it, but its not difficult-i use a lolly-stick to pop a little food in!
good luck

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 02:38:10 pm »
Hi Tina,

Sorry to hear about the little un. Can't offer much useful advice just wanted to say thanks though for posting as I'm going to start incubating and hatching and never for one moment thought medicated crumbs would make a difference - in fact I'd probably buy them thinking it was the best! Runny eye quite worrying for you...fingers crossed and good luck. Let us know the progress!

Mx
http://selfridgestoscats.blogspot.com  **NOW UPDATED**
twitter - @southscouse

Tina Turkey

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 03:14:21 pm »
Hi, just thought I would post a little update - and it has a happy ending for once!

Little duckling (not so little anymore!) is back with his mates now after making a complete recovery.

Turns out it looks like it was a niacin deficiency.

After another day on the dry oats I had some grated carrot leftover in the fridge so mixed it in with the oats - he wolfed it down and next day seemed a bit better - meantime I am still searching on the net for possible causes and found mention of niacin/Vit B deficiencies as causing symptoms like his - carrots are high in niacin so I was fixing him without even realising!  Anyway they said to use brewers yeast which I didnt have but I did have some vit b complex tablets so I ground them up and added to his water - it was like a miracle!  Pow the next day he was literally jumping up and down to get out of the box - kept him in and on the vit b for a further day then put him back with the others and now you cant tell which one he is!

So there you go folks - Vit B - worked wonders in this case.
TT :)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 05:09:45 pm »
Hurray - we like happy endings  ;D

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 11:19:22 am »
...yes happy endings....they don't happen often enough so WELL DONE!!
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS