Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I have goats....!  (Read 2331 times)

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
I have goats....!
« on: July 08, 2011, 03:46:25 pm »
....again ::)

After a break of 8 years I have just aquired 2 goats.....well 2 goatlings to be precise!
They are from a local commercial herd that makes the Stawley goats cheese sold at Neals Yard on London among other places!

I went to choose 2 with the intention of never showing again ( I have had champion and breed champion goats in the past....).....however......

After choosing a very nice Anglo Nubian who will possibly be crossed with a Boer for meat kids I saw the nicest BT goatling walk through a group of about 50 others that I have seen in many years......perfect whites, nice and darkish brown, very large frame, good feet and legs, long straight top line with long gentle slope to the end of the tail, lovely width from behind and very promising udder developing....couldn't believe it.....she would look good in any top show line up....so I bought her.... ::) ::) :D
Now the interesting part....they have never really been handled and certainly do not like to be handled at the moment....so have my work cut out to get her walking on a lead for some of the August and September shows!!!

Am I mad.....probably!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: I have goats....!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 05:12:09 pm »
Lol, welcome back to the madness of goats  ;D

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 05:29:45 pm »
I have goats too - also after a few years break. We must be mad ....but they are lovely!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 07:28:15 pm »
congratulations on your new acquisitions
....definitely mad!  :D
Little Blue

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 08:51:26 pm »
You will have lots of fun with them - hope you are not showing them in Scotland!!! (the BT only, i do not have AN's -yet...).

I am training this years kids atm, they are actually quite good. Better than the goatlings!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 11:06:30 pm »
Lol, congratulations Val, I hope they give you much pleasure. And that they calm down easily! Also good to hear you are going to try and get to some shows, we desperately need new (or returning) goatkeepers to show again. Though it may be better in your area than it is up here. Not that we will get to see your goats- a bit too far away!

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS