Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ex Bats  (Read 3256 times)

helskitchen

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Near Huntingdon
Ex Bats
« on: July 07, 2011, 05:41:49 pm »
Just wondering, do ex-bats really need different food, or can they go straight onto layers pellets from rehoming?  Just wanted to check before the feed store sells me some ex-bat food that I might not actually need!

Thanks!  :chook: :&> :goat: :cat: :dog:

robate55

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Suffolk
Re: Ex Bats
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 05:58:47 pm »
We did just that successfully although we were told not too if I remember right. They did have the cockeral to copy. Unfortunately we have just lost the 3rd of our exbats after just over a year. They stopped laying at Christmas but have gradually gone down with egg peritonitis
Rose

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 07:40:25 pm »
I mollycoddle my exbatts when they first arrive. ::) ::)  They have had a hard life  :'( :'( :'( and I like to try to compensate.  I give them layers pellets ground down with a rolling pin in a poly bag, then mixed with a little warm water and honey.  Then when they are eating that they get rolled oats, honey, poultry spice and milk, mixed with boiling water then cooled to luke warm. ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 07:47:20 pm »
What did they get fed at the battery unit? Sure as hell wasn't ex batt pellets that cost half as much again as ordinary layers pellets. Some of the feed manufacturers have seen all the luvvy chicken huggers coming a mile off and marketed their products to take advantage.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 07:53:07 pm »
good point hughsey, and straight to it!  ;)

I fed ours straight layers pellets, and limited amounts of greenstuff before they branched out into corn and that.
Like Robate55, many didnt last too long, but I like to think they had a nice retirement here  :chook:
Little Blue

robate55

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Suffolk
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 08:06:18 pm »
After the first few days it is lovely to see them venturing out. Only 2 weeks ago I found 1 in the kitchen. They really enjoyed roaming about with out exstray cockerel. We will be getting more soon so he is not too lonely.

sam.t

• Joined Mar 2009
  • goole east yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 07:21:48 am »
i`ve just rehome another 24 exbats and they went stright on layers pellets in with the other 30+ layers so they also got the treats that they get but took them a few days to work out what they were for
sam :chook:

helskitchen

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Near Huntingdon
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 09:31:45 am »
Thanks guys, theres a rehoming day tomorrow in Luton so we thought we would go and get some now the orchards are more 'secure'.  Need some more hens to lay eggs to sell for food that the geese and ducks are eating!  We were in profit before the fox came now they are eating us out of house and home  :o

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 09:34:34 am »
Annie that sounds good i wouldnt mind some of that myself!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS