Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help!! Piglets Imminent!  (Read 6549 times)

AlexInLincs

• Joined Apr 2010
Help!! Piglets Imminent!
« on: July 06, 2011, 07:55:12 pm »
Our Kune Kune's (sisters) are both 19 months old and have been living with a boar since they were 6 months.  They have never visibly had seasons and the boar has shown little interest.  Our friend who keeps pigs thought it may be due to over familiarity that they weren't getting together. 

Anyway, one of them is now very visibly in pig (swollen teats, loose on her back end and we can feel movement inside).  We have never bred pigs before, but I have delivered lots of other animals (sheep, goats, dogs) so I am ok with the birth side of things, but we are very worried about how to house the piglets and how to stop her from lying on them.  We have her in a stable and have erected a heat lamp.

Does anyone have a picture / notes on how to keep the piglets as safe as possible (i.e. pig rail heights etc)?

Any help would be brilliant!

Thanks

robert waddell

Re: Help!! Piglets Imminent!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 08:07:55 pm »
the first four days are the crucial ones for flat packing(can also happen up to 2-3 weeks) the heat lamp is to prevent the piglets from going to there mother to get a heat     if you can fix scaffold tubes approx 18-24inches from one wall and spaced so that the piglets can get under the bar without crawling under  and the lamp hanging over this area
if you are there at the birth ensure they suckle before they go under the lamp        have fun :pig: :farmer: :pig:

ChampionsGate

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 08:28:55 pm »
Thanks

I'm struggling to picture what you mean. Do you mean create a doorway so the sow can get under lamp to feed them?  How big should heated area be?  Do I need to create a safe cool area too?

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 08:41:54 pm »
Hi Alex  :wave:

Robert is quite right - in the barn if you can fix the scaffold tubes that would be a great help. We tried to get something like that in France but were unable.

We have found that to be on hand during the birth is good for you and the sow/gilt and assist only if necessary. But let mum do her job - and in the hours and days to follow we have found if you distract her accidents can happen i.e. step or roll on piglet. 

Our gilt has just farrowed and she is doing a wonderful job - yes she stepped on a piglet - but it screamed so loud and she moved very quickly away from it and luckily it was fine.  I think no matter how you much  try and make things safe - stuff can happen. We are learning to have more confidence in our pigs.

The picture that I have posted is of our  Wilma with her first litter of two day old piglets. Totally in control. lots of luck  :)

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 08:48:35 pm »
no you don't want the sow under the lamp
no cool area needed for piglets      sow will find her own cool area if she needs it
it depends what your set up is        if you use a corner for the piglets or one side  for them
what i have is purpose made well in advance of farrowing     you show us what you have and you will get advice from there  and is only a substitute in a short time :farmer:

ChampionsGate

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 08:53:51 pm »
Thanks

What depth of straw in under the lamp?  I've read it should be shallow but nothing specific

ChampionsGate

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 08:58:04 pm »
Thanks Robert we're planning to use a corner. What height approx for rails?

Really appreciate the help

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 09:01:39 pm »
Hi

Here is a  picture of our creep - made from an old ladder found in the barn, screwed to the wall. Heat lamp lowered into it. Our latest litter have avoided it as it is sunny and warm.  They have been outside since they were 1 day old. Mum made a wallow and fed her piglets there as she was hot - they know what to do.
A creep area is a useful haven after the farrowing  -  it can be an ideal place to put the piglets if mum is in trouble - piglets will gravitate to a warm place. i.e. Mum's tum or the creep area if it looks inviting.  :)

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 09:15:13 pm »
nelson your pig is overly fat   and don't everybody jump all over me stating this     i thought it was a large black and an old one at that
when they are fat they don't move as quick  are harder to get back in pig and you are wasting your money over feeding them  it is an easy mistake to make and one we are all guilty of
pigs are like humans a gilt in pig or just farrowed should be like a young girl in the prime of her life    after they have had a few litters they let themsalves go
i am surprised you cant get scaffie poles in France    galvanised water pipe old gas pipe  remember no sharp edges and have it fixed securely even a kunie has some power in it when it is rubbing
now remember when a piglet is born it weighs 2-4 lbs and can fit in the palm of your hand big momma can weigh from 120-300 kilos
it is up to us to reduce the fatality's
and we are waiting for a sow to farrow as well :farmer:

robert waddell

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 09:21:36 pm »
nelsons corner  made from an old ladder is ideal   you don't want horizontal rails that they are crawling under     they end up with deformed backs even older piglets can damage there backs this way :farmer:

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 09:28:57 pm »
Woops - my photography is not great :-[ and here is Wilma's better side Robert - she is a Berkshire and quite nimble - however I do have a larger Berkshire sow and you are quite right they are not so quick and can flat pack and tread on their piglets.

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 09:36:42 pm »
HI Alex, I think things have been confused Pigs are very good mothers, she will do just fine, keep any water outside to encourage the sow outside and up on her feet, you may loose some but that is just what happens, keep a good relationship with your sow and make her feel special, her favourite foods always helps, I have had lots of conversations with very experienced pig farmers and farrowing bars are a waste of time the piglets naturally want to be close to there Mum not just for food but warmth and safety against predator's.

HappyHippy

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 11:28:09 pm »
farrowing bars are a waste of time the piglets naturally want to be close to there Mum not just for food but warmth and safety against predator's.
I'm sorry - but I have to disagree with this  :-\
Having a 'creep' area is definately not a waste of time. Yes, the piglets may still prefer to lie with mum, but in the first few days there's a major risk of squashing and by having a creep with a heatlight they'll usually choose to lie there when not feeding. It takes an hour tops to set up, and if it saves even one piglet from dying then to me, it's definately not a waste of time.

My Kune Kune's 'creep' area consists of one length of heavy timber set diagonally across the corner of the farrowing pen, about 10-12 inches from the floor (they're usually out of there by a fortnight old, so no stooping ;)) the heatlight is approx 2ft from the floor and well out of mum's reach. I'd always go for a bit of sawdust/wood shavings on the floor with only a handful of straw - providing they've got the heatlight they'll be warm enough as they'll huddle together - the deeper the straw the higher the chances of them getting stuck, then squashed by mum. Have a can of stout on stand-by, some gilts can get a bit stressed when they farrow for the first time (like all new mums) and the stout will chill her out and give her time to get her head round the idea of piglets  ;) Watch and make sure both afterbirths are passed and don't suddenly up her feeding once she farrows or you'll just put her off. Kunes are great mothers and very good at letting you up close and personal with the piglets - enjoy them ! Oh and in case no-one's said - once you can express milk from her teats labour is normally underway in the next 24 hours (the udder will start to bag up up to 4 weeks before birth)
Good luck and keep us posted !
Karen

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 09:11:39 am »
Alex
Go the GOS website www.oldspots.org.uk and read the getting started section theres an article on farrowing and some pictures of a creche.
Good luck
HTH
mandy :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS