Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: why so many regs?  (Read 7257 times)

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
Re: why so many regs?
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2011, 12:12:04 pm »
Shetland Paul I think your comments about backyard or hobby farmers is out of order not everybody has the luxury of acres and acres of land or have a proper working farm, people that can afford a house with a little land on it should not be looked down noses at. 9 times out of 10 these days the farms are played at by townies as they are the only ones that can afford to run it , or it has been handed down the family line.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2011, 12:19:28 pm »
reread my post. were do i mention hobby farming. If a pig is kept well and fed well by a hobby farmer then it does not matter. what i commented on was the amercian swill production. if you had seen it you would have been amazed that they have not been wiped out by F&M. The rules are there to protect our animals even if they have gone over the top. I worry also when someone is asking how do we get around the rules. Why would you want to.

robert waddell

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2011, 12:32:05 pm »
i can see this topic being locked the same as the forfar market one
it was yankie girl that mentioned backyard or hobby farms not Shetland Paul
the regs are there for us all  you just have to read them and understand them and comply with them
there has been enough gripes on this forum with rules the law etc etc     there is only one way the correct way    and anyone who thinks they are exempt or above these rules and laws      are living in a delusional world :o

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2011, 12:35:28 pm »
Shetland Paul, I don't think people are trying to get round the rules, If you are not a big commercial pig farmer or a big Free Range pig farmer and the pigs are not your main income the rules and regs are a minefield and confusion of what you can and can't do, should you have hours upon hours of time to read every little rule and regulation then all well and good but a lot of people don't so basic guidelines would be of more help. As for the programme you are referring to no I didn't see it, I have seen programmes on how they slaughter there animals and by watching that how they feed them comes to of no surprise to me at all.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2011, 02:14:22 pm »
the rules do take reading but they really are not complicated. the basicilly fall in to husbandry feeding and transport.
if your a smallholder then its really straight forward insure you have a herd number and the right housing.
ensure that you either buy ready mixed feed and store it safe from vermin. if making your own then it becomes a bit more of a hassle.
ensure they are healthy and remain so.
if your a smallholder then transport is not too difficult. well it should not be if you can get them loaded.
the paperwork is simple for small numbers. a movement book and a med book.
animal health will be happy to give advice.

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2011, 02:20:32 pm »
I must admit I have never understood why people complain about the rules and regs, as shetlandpaul says they are not complicated.It takes very little time to do the paperwork. Obviously its a bit more involved if you are a big farm but as a smallholder I can't see the problem.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2011, 02:40:23 pm »
This will be my last reply on this strand...so here goes

I am amazed at the number of people who say the regs are for their own good and at the same time know they are in some cases ridiculous but support the regulators anyway.  I don't understand the "rules are rules" attitude!!!  Don't you feel like you are being intruded upon.   

I sounds like some of you know you are being played by the gov't (follow the money).   

I resent anyone treating the masses as if we are too stupid to seek good advise and learn from mistakes.  I also question the motives of those who think they know best (except my mom and dad...they did know best, most of the time ;D) and spend time and $ legislating "for our own good".   I think the seatbelt laws are crazy.

I disagree with a lot of you, but LOVE this site!

Thanks for tolerating a BIG MOUTH Yank.

HappyHippy

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2011, 04:10:30 pm »
I am amazed at the number of people who say the regs are for their own good and at the same time know they are in some cases ridiculous but support the regulators anyway.  I don't understand the "rules are rules" attitude!!!  Don't you feel like you are being intruded upon.
Yes, I suppose sometimes it does feel as if they're legislating for idiots  ::) but I think that if you're going to keep stock (whether 2 or 2000) you have to do it properly. The laws are there for all - small scale and big scale operations alike. Whether you agree with them or not, they are a legal requirement. As a keeper it's your responsibility to make sure you know the rules and operate within them - if you're not prepared to do that you shouldn't be keeping animals in the first place (I don't mean you , as in YOU - I mean people in general  ;))

Your comment about the seatbelts law is just crazy though  :o
My husband was involved in a crash last year, the day after our 4th child was born. It wasn't his fault (some nutter coming straight through a stop sign) but if it hadn't been for his seatbelt he wouldn't be here today and my kids would be growing up without a dad  :'(
A very good friend of mine died in a car crash aged just 17 - yup, you've guessed it, he wasn't wearing a seatbelt  :-\ :'(
By all means - stick it to the man  ;) but seatbelts save lives !
Karen x

robert waddell

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2011, 04:31:06 pm »
yankie girl     i disagree with a lot of people on here as well 
the seat belt law   well when you get catapulted out your windshield it is to late to buckle up and just before your knees snap as you continue your journeyalong the hood
the helmet law    just recently an American biker was killed on a protest rally against wearing helmets         yep if he had been wearing a helmet he would have lived
in general the British just do as they are told
but don't stop adding to the forum it is good to hear from other parts of the world               learning is knowledge :pig: :farmer: :wave:

deepinthewoods

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2011, 05:06:18 pm »
and knowledge is power!

i wear a seatbelt. saved my life twice now.
 8)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2011, 07:19:18 pm »
Hubby is a traffic cop, doesn't enjoy picking up a teenagers' head from this bit of the road and the body from that, all of which would have been avoided if the kid had been wearing a seat belt  :P

It might be nice to think that we were all, always, sensible enough to act in our own and other people's best interests, but evidence suggests we're not and anyway sometimes our and others' best interests conflict. So we have laws.

Can't say I disagree with the seat belt law. Quite apart from preventing misery, if you're damaged rather than killed outright, it costs other people to take care of you. If you're killed other people may have to fork out for your family. So other people do have an interest in your reckless behaviour.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 07:22:25 pm by jaykay »

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2011, 08:22:59 pm »
On the other hand, the supply of donor organs has dropped since the seat belt law was introduced...........

robert waddell

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2011, 08:53:32 pm »
every cloud has a silver lining     tiva diva i have your photo frame and cards are you still going to the yorkshire :farmer:

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2011, 09:25:34 pm »
No, damn it! Got sent on a course by the Army! Bugger!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2011, 10:01:34 pm »
There are some rules that are stupid and I can't see that anyone would disagree with me on this particular rule....

I am currently in Delaware where the motorbike rules are that you must carry a helmet on your bike.  Not on your head, just on your bike.  Can anyone see the sense in that?

With regards to seat belts, I was involved in a very serious accident, the other car hit me head on doing 90 mph. Consensus is that I only lived because I was wearing my seatbelt.

Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS