Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ducks eating there own eggs  (Read 2535 times)

raygezer

• Joined Jan 2011
  • brittany
ducks eating there own eggs
« on: July 06, 2011, 06:15:37 pm »
Hi is there anybody out there that keeps alesbury ducks and have come across this problem before, I have heard that chickens sometimes do it but never ducks .Any ideas gratefully received

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: ducks eating there own eggs
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 07:25:44 pm »
hi
not sure about ducks ....... but one of our turkeys has started...... >:(
Mx

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 08:51:23 pm »
Have had hens doing it but none of my ducks ever has, over a period of 10 years and lots of different ducks. Are you sure it was a duck that opened it ebcasue their shells are extremely tough, perhaps it was a sharper point that did it?  Magpie, hen?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

It-needed-a-home

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
  • Zeus (our saxony duck)
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 08:04:06 am »
i have loads of problems with my ducks and eggs . they are like a treat for them they love there own eggs  its such a shame cause there really nice too but i sometimes dont get a cahnce to collect them the only time they dont tend to eat them is if there gonna sit on them !!!!!

no cure as to yet!!!
Well i have cut back and i still have to many !!!! Oh well just as well i love them !!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 06:07:18 pm »
It's not so easy for them to break eggs up (as it is for hens) but they will eat them if it happens. One of mine lays thin shelled eggs and most days there is not much evidence left of it when I come to collect but the strong eggs I think are fine. It's hard to tell why we are short of eggs in numbers, they might lay outdoors and I can't find them, be broody or put off....
You can try the same as works for some hens - add a few stone eggs to the nesting box and fill some others with mustard. Good luck! :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS