Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Selling surplus veg at the farmgate  (Read 11813 times)

DJ_Chook

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Mid Wales
  • Chicken mad, nothing else just chickens.
Selling surplus veg at the farmgate
« on: July 06, 2011, 04:38:16 pm »
How much do you charge?

I've put out 2 bags of new potatoes. 1x900gram bag for 85p & 1x50gram bag for 50p.
10 stick bundle of rhubarb £1
1kg bag of raw beetroots £1
450g jar of chutney/jam/pickled babybeets £1.50
1kg bag of small swedes(size of eating apples) 75p
1/2 doz eggs 75p
Chicken nutter extraordinaire.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: Selling surplus veg at the farmgate
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 04:44:45 pm »
I just check the shops and sell accordingly for veg. Hens eggs  are £1.50 per 1/2 doz for free range from me and thats cheap! £ 1.50 for preserves and dried herbs is what I sell for as well. Good luck with selling, my little box is empty most evenings :)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 04:48:22 pm »
i think this is something i'd like to try....are there any regs i need to be aware of?  or can i just put out a box and an honesty tin?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 04:48:43 pm »
We're selling eggs at £1.50 a half dozen and can't keep up with demand. They are more than this in the supermarket and we're selling a superior product.

We've just started selling potted herbs at 50p per pot.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 05:04:19 pm »
There are regs with hens eggs but only if you have more than fifty poultry. Dont think there are regs with veg but preserves at the gate I am not sure of, there are regs at markets etc. Most folk are honest, if they dont have the change they will leave IOU,s and little notes. If they can see the hens and have an excuse for a natter and a look round the veg plots they are buying from then all the better. If you put a notice that if the box is empty please call at house then it will stop them from moving on thinking you have run out.Signs have to be less than a metre square or you will need planning .....I think.  Give it a go its great fun. :wave:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 11:53:25 pm »
Large hen eggs £1.50, bantam eggs £1.20
5 mega sticks of rhubarb £1
1lb jars of jam £2.50
Chutney - I don't sell it as it's too precious and far too much work to give away at £1.50  :o

In fact I don't like selling my veggies at all, especially to strapping young folk who should be growing their own  ;D ;D ;D ( I am making good progress in my ambition to become a VERY grumpy old woman  8) 8) 8))

If I have a glut of something then I do sell it but at the same price as the greengrocer.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 05:49:55 am »
DJ - I think you could be selling your rhubarb for alot more. It's 25p a stick in the shops here!!
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

DJ_Chook

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Mid Wales
  • Chicken mad, nothing else just chickens.
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 07:32:12 am »
DJ - I think you could be selling your rhubarb for a lot more. It's 25p a stick in the shops here!!

I've been out to the box and highered the price.

10 stick bundle of rhubarb £1 - I've now divided this into 2 bundles of 5 sticks for a 85p each bundle.

450g jar of chutney/jam/pickled babybeets £1.50 - Are now up to £1.75p

Chutney - I don't sell it as it's too precious and far too much work to give away at £1.50  :o

I've upped the price 25p. I still  think it's a bargain price but I do have way more chutney than we can eat

I'll see if any of it sells this week and then rethink my prices.
Chicken nutter extraordinaire.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 07:37:29 am »
I find people are a bit suspicious if home grown/made things are too cheap. They expect to pay a premium, especially if things are grown without "artificials" and feel they have something a bit special.

NorthEssexsmallholding

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 10:44:42 am »
does anyone sell to farm shops or pubs/restaurants?  I'm thinking of selling some produce to them but wonder what price I would get and whether there are any rules or regs.

I refuse to do all the hard work I've done and then let someone else make all the profit, there has to be a decent margin.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 10:56:08 am »
does anyone sell to farm shops or pubs/restaurants?  I'm thinking of selling some produce to them but wonder what price I would get and whether there are any rules or regs.

I refuse to do all the hard work I've done and then let someone else make all the profit, there has to be a decent margin.
I agree with that sentiment absolutely NES  ;D  I have sold to a restaurant in the past, but only intermittently and their payment was in meals  :yum: - all very well but actually I prefer my own cooking  ;D  If I was doing it as a proper outlet for my produce then I would be sure to sell to more than one place - restaurants are going under all the time, so not putting all your eggs in one basket etc.  The biggest problem is maintaining a continuous supply for them, same with box schemes.
Our local greengrocer has asked if I would sell my surplus through him but he would pay wholesale rates, whereas I can charge retail at the gate.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 11:46:06 am »
we aren't on a main/busy road, but down a wee lane (from a very sharp bend) and it's only the people in the village that actually come down here - and half of them grow their own :(

any suggestions how I 'entice' people to come down here?

a notice up at the top of the road wouldnt work as it would be too dangerous with the sharp bend i think

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 06:32:45 pm »
You must only sell what is excess from your garden so take care if you are an agri holding , the licenced traders will bitch to the trading oficers , environ health & taxman .

Same with honey it must not support a commercial enterprise.
You cannot sell home made country wines or beers or tobacco unless you are licenced & regist4ered with oodles of authorities .

The amount you sell and get money for ... less costs etc.  should also be declared to the relevent people especially if you are claiming benefits lest someone bubbles you ..it seems not to pay to try and make your life better these days . But you are allowed to make some money with out benefits currently being affected don't for get to tell them and do your research .. I think the sum is around £58 per week in certain circumstances .
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 09:04:29 pm »

selling any jam/chutney has regs..... you need to be ok'd by trading standards (labelling rules) and environmental health need to ok your prep area (aka kitchen!)
one officer said we needed to send sample to micro lab to sort out sell by date...... we explained that we are only selling from the farmgate bit they said no difference.
this was derbyshire CC so may be different in other areas
Mx

Millwood

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Oxfordshire
    • Millwood Market Gardens
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 10:15:43 pm »
I've never had my kitchen inspected for making jams and chutneys, or had any issues with sell-by-dates; I've done a food hygiene certificate, but nothing else seems to be required in my area.
Chooks, ducks, pigs, Bertie the tractor & loadsa veg!
www.themarketgardeneynsham.co.uk
Twitter: @marketgardeneyn

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS