Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Central Heating Installation  (Read 5331 times)

HappyHippy

Central Heating Installation
« on: February 10, 2009, 07:22:50 pm »
Hi,

I'm hoping to draw on everyones practical DIY skills here;

I currently have electric storage heaters in my house (hate the bl***y things though!) and last year before the majority of my cash ran out I invested in a new multi-fuel stove with back boiler to run 7 rads and heat my water. I managed to get radiators for free from the free ad paper (although they've still to be pressure tested) but I've run out of cash to pay a plumber to install the whole thing.
What I'm wondering is  ???...........

In these modern days of flexi pipes and compression fittings (doing away with the need to solder copper pipes) how viable/easy would it be to do on a DIY basis - has anyone tried it?
I know if it was gas it'd be a whole different ball game and I wouldn't even consider it, but as it's just a basic wet system I'm seriously considering giving it a go. I have a seriously handy hubby and a very inventive (if somewhat 'agricultural') father - would this task be beyond them ? Should I just save up and pay the proffesionals ?

Has anyone tried this themselves ?
Your thoughts would be very much appriciated  ;)
Karen

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
Re: Central Heating Installation
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 07:43:12 pm »
have you tried your local libriary for DIY how to books?

rustyme

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 07:52:47 pm »
save your money and do it yourself ... very easy .. you just need to take your time and make sure you make the joints properly. You can use new plastic pipe for nearly all the piping run and just a small amount of copper closest to the boiler , but some plastic pipe can even be used there as well...this you must check before using !! You can also use copper throughout with all compression fittings .   It would be best to get a book on different types of systems , either buy one , get one from the library or look online. The actual work though is very easy and most people could do it ... I used to fit this sort of thing to mobile homes ...etc. Very easy to do , no need to be afraid .

cheers

Russ

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 12:08:42 am »
But you're not afraid of anything, Russ :o ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

rustyme

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 12:23:58 am »
hello Annie,
              lol.... you haven't seen me when I see a rat ........or up ladder........or in a very small space........we all have our Achilles heel , and they are a few of mine ......( my smileys have stopped working now  !! ) lol..

cheers

Russ
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 12:53:09 am by rustyme »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 01:02:24 am »
Well, I'm not scared of much either but I have to admit those three would top my list too!  Off to bed now, goodnight - sleep well!
Annie ;D :&> :&>
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

rustyme

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 01:04:42 am »
night night .....sleep tight .....don't let the bed bugs bite....

Russ

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 09:26:37 am »
I currently have electric storage heaters in my house (hate the bl***y things though!) and last year before the majority of my cash ran out I invested in a new multi-fuel stove with back boiler to run 7 rads and heat my water. I managed to get radiators for free from the free ad paper (although they've still to be pressure tested) but I've run out of cash to pay a plumber to install the whole thing.

I've installed my own central heating a couple of times and it's not hard to do, however control is the issue.

You have a multi-fuel stove with back boiler so you must allow for disposal of excess heat. If you fit thermostats to all you rads when the house gets up to temp and they all close the back boiler would blow. I'm no expert with this type of system so you need to do your research and if not certain, seek professional advise.

For example our original Trianco hopper fed coal boiler had a huge double gravity fed radiator to spill excess heat. However when the power failed, the fan that controlled the fire and the pump stopped, but under certain wind condition the fire would merrily run away with itself. In the past this had generated enough heat to boil the water in the expansion tank, bringing down the kitchen ceiling.

"You need a gravity circuit as a failsafe eg in a power cut when a pump wouldn't work, otherwise the boiler might explode!"

Be careful.

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 01:59:09 pm »
Hi Karen

Our system has the stove sited on the ground floor and has the hot water tank with indirect cylinder sited on the floor above.  Gravity loop runs to this tank which soaks up excess heat even when the power is off and we have no circulating pump working.

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

nick-in-ca

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 03:08:57 am »
i would do it my self jack of all trades master of some  make sure the plastic pipes are right temperature and compression tool (rent the tool)  is the right one for the rings  pressure test any leaks replace ring
 on the return pipe no hills or valleys if you want the cool water to work by gravity if the power goes out     
nick

Rhyan & Melissa

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 08:05:50 am »
Hello!

If you get super stuff, PM me - my Dad is a property developer and I can get loads of free advice for you!

Good luck!
Rhyan & Melissa

Pea Pod Burgundy Ltd

Blog:      www.peapodburgundy.blogspot.com/
Twitter:   www.twitter.com/peapodburgundy
Web:      www.peapodburgundy.co.uk

You can also find us on Facebook and Myspace!

HappyHippy

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 06:03:50 pm »
A great big thank you to everyone  :-* for your advice.
We'll be getting clued up and starting it in the spring/summer I think, I don't fancy ripping out all the storage heaters while we've still got snow (tempting though it is, just to be rid of them!)
I'm sure I'll be back here then, when I hit the inevitable problems ! lol!
Karen  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS