Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 3 shetland fleeces.....  (Read 4818 times)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
3 shetland fleeces.....
« on: July 06, 2011, 10:40:31 am »
and not sure what to do with them!

anyone nearby that can show me by any chance please?
for felting or wool would be great..or anything else I've not thought of of course....

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: 3 shetland fleeces.....
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 10:33:28 pm »
I have had a look at peg looms at Woolfest (a rare treat to go for me nowadays...) and thought that you could make a good felt-type rug straight from the fleece.... now I just need some time, a peg loom, ......

But if you have some fine dog brushes, you can brush individual locks/bits of fleece (like carding) and felt them or make a spindle and try to spin some yarn (loads of stuff on U tube I think) or even use for stuffing cushions...

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 10:44:54 pm »
First thing to do is to skirt and pick them over so you can store them safely while you make up your mind.  Polypropylene sacks, or pillowcases tied tightly will keep the moths out but allow air to circulate - don't store them in bin liners.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 03:04:45 pm »
I have had a look at peg looms at Woolfest (a rare treat to go for me nowadays...) and thought that you could make a good felt-type rug straight from the fleece.... now I just need some time, a peg loom, ......

But if you have some fine dog brushes, you can brush individual locks/bits of fleece (like carding) and felt them or make a spindle and try to spin some yarn (loads of stuff on U tube I think) or even use for stuffing cushions...

I am making a rug on a pegloom (we sell them) strsight from the fleece you do not need to card or even wash as you can do the washing after the rug is made

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 08:34:57 pm »
*shameless plug*  ;D

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=15591.msg159467#msg159467

My first attempt - the colour bands worked really well, but I didn't allow enough for shrinkage. I had very gently washed the raw fleeces, but washed the finished rug in hot soapy water. I kinda want it to felt a bit as I'm worried about tufts coming loose!
This took a long afternoon with many distractions/breaks - maybe 5 hours continuous? Not bad for a newbie  :sheep:

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 10:40:07 pm »
*shameless plug*  ;D

I have no shame at all just need to survive as OH has not found a job yet. I remember doing the looms with grandma I had just forgot how much I love doing it. I found some wool in the cupboard that I bought ages ago and have just started a casual jacket for winter on one of my finer peg looms. I also have a 6'x4' rug on my large loom which is actually sold to a customer from this weekends show ( I haven't even finished half of it yet) and I have been asked to teach people how to loom with different mediums. I had great interest in some rugs and bags I made with rags on the loom and place mats from raffia.
I am now looking for different things to weave with, I had thought of trying baleing string that got collected from last winters bales.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 10:45:40 pm »
I bow to your loom skills  ;) I haven't thought beyond "flat and square-ish"
Are there patterns out there for different things, or is it more judgement/experience?

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 11:25:42 pm »
There maybe patterns out there I just draw it then weave it, but I do the same with sewing and felting

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 09:12:27 pm »
This is a rug on my large loom about 2 foot into a 5 foot rug. It is made with raw wool that has only had a light wash, no carding or spinning

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS