Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hair and Weight Loss  (Read 2713 times)

Luce747

• Joined Jan 2011
Hair and Weight Loss
« on: July 06, 2011, 07:34:52 am »
We rescued a small herd of Pygmy billys three months ago and one in particular has lost a lot of his coat down his sides and has dropped weight very quickly to the point his rump and shoulder bones are showing.

I was hoping someone with more goat experience than I have could let me know your ideas? I am guessing, as the goats were being neglected at the previous home, that they are overloaded with worms. I also noticed a circle of red dots on one side which I think is a sign of ringworm? Is there anything else that could cause hair loss like this? Two of the others also have patches missing but are still a good weight.

We were waiting to worm the goats until our original pair were due so we could do them altogether but have now gone ahead and wormed all of the goats with Dectomax.

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery and that the wormer does the trick.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Hair and Weight Loss
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 11:16:01 am »
I now would always worm any new goats on arrival, especially rescue one, but I have not done this in the past... and now battling with a worm problem on my goats field....

It would be best to do a worm count about 10 to 12 days post worming, that would show you if any have resistant worms.

If they are tame enough you could put some fungal cream onto the Ringworm, but maybe it would be best to have that checked out by the vet, before any of the others show signs. Also sunshine is good for ringworm.

Luce747

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 12:47:59 pm »
Good plan. I'll get a worm count done in a week or so and get the ringlike mark checked out aswell.

The goat in question has improved today and seems brighter in himself.

I was not sure how fast wormer actually takes to work but I am hoping it has done the trick.

I am sure we will have a constant battle with worms now as this always seems to be the way once you get a heavy parasite load.

We had a chicken with coccidiosis probably caught from eating corn or something simple. We have not managed to eradicate it since and are still treating all of our chucks and waterfowl.
Same with rabbits and enteritis.

Funny how the smallest organisms can be the greatest threat.

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 07:01:35 pm »
When my boys got worms, I was astounded how quickly the wormer worked. The next day, there was no sign of the little blighters at all. Two weeks ago, I noticed that Billy was suffering again, so dosed them again, following day, not a sign. I couldnt tell you what the wormer is as its french, but a syringe of it mixed in with their nighttime food and hey ho!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS