Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lice!!!!!  (Read 2644 times)

nails

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Somerset
Lice!!!!!
« on: July 05, 2011, 06:01:17 pm »
We have lost a couple of our chicks over the last week or so, last night i pulled another dead one out the run, about half hour later i was itching all over, then my body just felt like it was crawling, then i see this little speck on me, and another and another!!!! Found the reason why i had lost my little ones!!! all birds treated now, so hopefully got them in time.
My question is how do they spread?
and also i am still finding them on me, despite 2 showers all the clothes have been washed, but now when i sit down at my kitchen table i start itching so they are obviously in the kitchen as well now, can i spray a light solution on the stuff i have for the houses in my home to kill any that i obviously brought in on me?

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
Re: Lice!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 07:57:27 pm »
I don't think they will settle on you - the ones that do won't go for our feathered friends (variety  :&>head lice and and the "private" kind). Obviously they spread through contact, by casually walking across  ;D :&>

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 10:23:30 pm »
Were they lice (tiny but long bodies, pale grey or brown) or red mites (rounder bodies, dark grey or red)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 08:03:06 am »
Or even bird fleas perhaps? (a bit like cat fleas, but slower, and easier to squish!).
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 09:22:44 am »
you can get the lice on you but they won't live on you. i think you have mite problem and they do bite and will need killing.

nails

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Somerset
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 03:55:09 pm »
Hopefully started to get this problem under control, they looked like tiny specks of dust, def not red mite, they look brown.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 06:18:03 pm »
mites. I remember that they can be brownish. If you squish one that has fed it will be very red indeed... :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS