Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: large black piglets  (Read 4183 times)

gingercloverbramble

• Joined Feb 2009
large black piglets
« on: February 10, 2009, 12:36:19 pm »
Our Large Black Sow has done a fabulous job in producing nine fine and fit piglets which are now almost nine weeks old.  The time is arriving to wean them and seperate them from their mother.  Just wondered if anyone had any advice about this as this is the first set of piglets we have had. (We have previously purchased weaners to raise!)  Very grateful for any advice received. Cheers!  :pig:

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
Re: large black piglets
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 01:10:34 pm »
We normally get mum occupied with a nice treat and take the babies away to another (non-adjoining) paddock or shed (if they are to be tagged & tattooed). After a week of "re-conditioning" - i.e. feeding mummy up to help replace the weightloss from the piglets we return her to the boar.
It's important that the mum isn't within close range of the babies' new quarters otherwise you may see her trying to get re-acquainted.

Cheers

Gavin

p.s. make sure the treat keeps her occupied for a good while, whilst our Tams don't bite us they can get very persuasive !

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 03:35:08 pm »
I dont wean until 10 weeks (except Hilary who tends to chuck them out when she has had enough).  So I take the sow and babies to the new (baby) field, take every one in, then encourage the sow back out.  Feeding babies, who anyway are keen to explore the new area helps.  I try to put mum in a different field with a companion.   It has worked for me so far.  Hilary's I just encourage down to a new field with a food bucket.

Large blacks how lovely.  Are they as gentle as they look?

gingercloverbramble

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 11:22:58 am »
Thanks for all advice.  We are going to move the piglets this weekend - they will be 9 1/2 weeks and mum Bertha is getting a bit fed up of being chewed on now!! 
And yes... the Large Blacks are fabulous.  Our first weaners are Large Black/Duroc crosses and have been fabulous fun.  The piglets are pure Large Blacks and are so adorable!!  Bertha the Mum is obviously pure breed but she is slightly more feisty although I cannot fault her motherning skills!
Fingers crossed for a smooth move at the weekend!!
Cheers  :pig:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 06:34:42 pm »
Have the chance of using a Large Black boar.  Your posting has encouraged me to go for him.

gingercloverbramble

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 11:15:08 am »
Hi
I actually have another wee question to ask.  Our original weaners are now getting to the stage when we will have to 'send them away' (for meat!) soon.  Is it wise to feed them on finishing pellets for a wee while before they go away?
Thanking you muchly!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 04:39:52 pm »
We just use the normal growers right up to the end.  Thats 16% protein   - the fun begins then with sausages, bacon, black pudding, salami, gammon, ham, and roast pork. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS