Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: home made rat poison  (Read 24316 times)

deepinthewoods

Re: home made rat poison
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2011, 07:59:50 pm »
result!

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2011, 07:21:21 pm »
well theyve had a good go at it... so wait and see...... but i think it will be a permenant feature as its all by a tream so always rats about......... would have to trap a live one and feed it to see results and time scale

deepinthewoods

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2011, 07:34:02 pm »
cool! put it on youtube!! ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2011, 09:36:12 pm »
I put the bicarb mixture in two plastic bottles with the tops cut off, right beside a rat hole.  None of it has been touched so either they don't like it or there are none - and I just don't believe that because we are right beside a burn too!  Will have to try soemthing else I reckon.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2011, 11:30:44 pm »
I was told that rats have an in-built distrust of the new (there is a technical term but I can't remember it) so that any bait or trap will probably be ignored for more than a week.  Patience, Annie!  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2011, 08:35:47 am »
mix some feed into it...... mine had been eating feed mixed with proper poison in the hutch for 2 weeks so i put the plaster of paris next to it so they went for it straight away.............same as foxes new stuff no good it has to weather

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2011, 09:21:20 am »
If you have an old bag of wall plaster lying about , this works just as well as P of P. stick it in a length of plastic drainpipe against a wall , they love sheltered tunnels. Did get told once that guineafowl were good for killing rats, I don't think I've ever seen proof of this.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2011, 09:32:54 am »
and the wall plaster would get really hot as well! burnt and constipated all at the same time. 8)

Maggie

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Umberleigh, Devon
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2011, 10:45:51 am »
Thanks for this one.......I'm off to try the recipe myself, having noticed rats in the barn near the feed bins.  They give me the willies. 

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2011, 06:41:43 pm »
it would have to be old plaster as new stuff would take a while to go hard if at all... p/paris is about 15 mins... old plaster probably about the same

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2011, 07:01:03 pm »
had new info..... must not use layers mash etc as it has vitimin k in which helps the rat get over the poison???????????..but as this isnt poison dont suppose it matters....also was told to use the inside of corn on the cob... either impregnate with sugar...or i suppose you could bung it in the food blender... not poisonous but they cant digest it and it dehydrates them apparently
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 08:17:59 pm by harry »

calamityjane

• Joined Aug 2011
  • sauchie
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2011, 11:48:26 pm »
i was told t try sugar beet swells in their tummy don't know if it works tho think i'll try your recipes hopefully it works had 2 guys with ferrets great at catching them someone poisoned the ferrets tho

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2011, 11:50:14 pm »
My son checked the pop bottles I had laid beside the rat holes and they were empty.  Not seen a rat for ages but it could just be coincidence.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2011, 07:56:52 pm »
Now is the time to get a strong feeding regime going so they get zapped in the hardest months when there is little else to eat and reproduction is at its lowest rate of success .

This plaster of Paris and Bicarb  idea kind of amuses me ..
I've seen it on the likes of " Yahoo answers and Wikki squeaks "  but really..if it were that effective and cost effective the big boys would have been advocating it years ago . so would have farmers ,grannies and granddads all over the world.

Think on this ..... rats chew their way through brick walls , wood  ,plastered walls and all sorts of plastics .

If there is a trace of food stuff or fat on it on it they will swallow it & digest it in their stomach acids .
 Rats cannot be sick  ( Thats why Warfrin etc works so well ) so the stomach acids must be some quality stuff to dissolve what they eat.

They cant usually chew through salt glazed drain pipes but do a nice job of the haunchings & brick work  to get down into the sewers .

I have numerous friends on another site who are professional pest controlers ..fully registered and licenced in the arts of terminalting our friend ratty etc.
I'll ask them for advice and permission to put their  replies here .
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2011, 01:30:19 am »
If you have a place where you can't use poisons for whatever reason, try fenn traps, I've caught loads of rats in them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS