Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What type of comb or brush ...  (Read 16946 times)

OldGaffer

• Joined May 2011
  • Cambridgeshire
What type of comb or brush ...
« on: July 03, 2011, 09:53:48 pm »
We have recently started to keep Shetland sheep, which has been great so far. What I want to do is groom the sheep to keep their coats is good condition for their comfort and maintain the quality of next years fleece. So, am I being stupid or is it good practice to groom sheep? If it is good practice, what combs or brushes do you us?

Further, when using a pour on anti fly strike compound, how long should I leave it before I can handle the sheep without gloves?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: What type of comb or brush ...
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 10:13:10 pm »
You don't brush sheep, but if you are worried about getting damage to their fleeces keeping them inside or with a shelter available during bad weather will help. Otherwise keep them in good condition, as problems during the year do show in the fleece as breaks for example.

I have a few of my ewe fleeces that have breaks in probably as a result of the very hard winter we were having. Nothing much you can do about it I think. Overfeeding can cause all sorts of other problems.

There are sheep coats available, but I think it's an American thing....

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 12:50:05 am »
As Anke says, you don't brush sheep.  If you did you would destroy the structure of the staples - this would make the fleece less weatherproof and would spoil it for use after shearing. To keep the fleece clean, feed hay over winter in low hecks with small mesh so they can't take out too much at once and get it in eachothers fleeces - it is a bit of a losing battle but coats are not suitable for our climate (too wet) and Shetland sheep are a hardy breed, comfortable in their own coats, outdoors  :sheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

OldGaffer

• Joined May 2011
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 07:54:59 pm »
Many thanks for your replies. I did actually wonder if it was necessary and the only reason for asking was I saw a picture of what appeared to be someone grooming a sheep, but my be they were preparing the creature for a show.

Point taken OhLaLa  :)  I guess on reflection it was a pretty stupid question!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 12:32:38 am »
It wasn't stupid.  If it was a Jacob you saw being prepared for a 'fleece on the hoof' class they are brushed to within an inch of their lives  :D  It can apparently take up to three days to get a Jacob fully brushed to look like a cloud.  I really don't know why they do it as it wrecks the fleece as I said above - but that is what is required if you want to win that class  ::)  Also for most classes of Jacobs and probably other sheep (NOT Hebs  :)) the fleece is carded over the tips - not down into the fleece - so you can be forgiven for thinking brushing sheep is par for the course.  I struggle to keep my cat and dogs groomed so I can't imagine I would keep on top of all the sheep I have  ;D ;D

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 03:00:19 pm »
Interesting post this....I was considering putting one of my Bowmont ewes into the local show in a few weeks time - what can I use on her to fluff her up a bit which won't damage the fleece.  I sell the fleeces to spinners so it needs to be looked after properly.  Is it OK to use a carding brush at all??

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 05:18:14 pm »
Hi Morri2.  You've got plenty of time before the show to check with Bowmont experts about just how you should prepare them for showing.  The fibre and crimp of Bowmonts is so fine and special that it would be easy and a shame to wreck it.  If you don't know any other breeders who have shown their sheep, just use your fingers to make sure that the fleece over the britch is plumped up.  It might be ok to use curved carders to pat over the whole fleece but do check with someone in the know first  :sheep:
Just had a thought - has she been shorn this year?  If so it would be ok to flick with the carders because by next year the staple structure will be back in the new fleece after all the rain etc she will have seen.

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 08:10:20 pm »

Thanks Fleecewife, knew I could depend on you for a response. ;)  What exactly is it that damages the wool when its combed/carded?   Does it break the staple?  The fibre is very (what my OH calls) cobwebby so I could see that happening.

There are so few breeders in the country its difficult to get any hands on advice. I think there's only Lesley Prior at Devon Fine Fibres who shows their Bowmonts.  I send her an email and ask her advice (again!!!) 

Cheers.  :wave:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 01:02:29 am »
The carders just separate out the fibres which destroys the staple structure but wouldn't damage the fibres themselves.  By opening up the staples and brushing out the tips, you are letting in the rain and other weather, so the fleece can no longer do its job of protecting the animal from the elements.  Fleece shorn from a sheep which has been previously brushed out thoroughly would fall to pieces, so you couldn't roll or handle it.  (Even the very finest fleece goes through a huge mechanical carding machine with millions of metal teeth ripping at it, so wool is tough stuff  :))  So the effect of carding on the sheep isn't too drastic really except that you want to sell to spinners who expect the staple structure to be intact.  There are rules for showing each breed and if you have carded when you shouldn't have done then by destroying the staple structure you are preventing the judge from assessing the crimp and so on properly.  If say a Shetland or Hebridean was fully brushed out before a show it would be disqualified from the ring.  On the other hand, as I mentioned before, Jacobs entered for the 'fleece on the hoof' class must be brushed/carded right down to the skin to give the effect of an enormous piebald cloud.  Hence the need to check what is required for your particular breed.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 12:11:55 pm by Fleecewife »

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 10:27:02 pm »
I doubt there are show regulations/guidelines for Bowmonts, as there will be very few shown (I guess). I would leave the fleece in its natural state, just pick out any obvious twigs ets (I found a piece of barbed wire in one of my shetland wethers just as I was starting to clip - a bad gash on my hand as a result!), and make sure their faces/legs are clean and white.

What class would you enter them in?

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 10:10:29 pm »
Hi Anke,  Just seen  your reply on this one, sorry for the delay.

Yes, that's a good point; what class would I enter them into?  They are not a native rare breed, but they are rare.  Are they classed as upland or mountain sheep, or as lowland?  There will be  no section for sheep being judged purely for their fleece quality, not in our local show - so its all a bit puzzling.   ???  There might be a class for 'miscellaneous' or 'other' breed - I'll have to wait for the brochure to be printed next week and see what classes are on offer.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 10:17:51 pm »
Well the Bowmonts were originally bred to provide an income from the fleece as well as the carcass to the hill farmer, although I think they were found not to be hardy enough. Would be interesting to know which class they would come under... you should stand a chance with winning the "fleece on the hoof" competition with a Bowmont fleece!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS