Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: regs  (Read 2848 times)

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
regs
« on: July 03, 2011, 09:39:00 am »
hi...i have a flock of ducks but the 1 acre they are on has a high proportion of nettles and docks.... would a goat be a good idea......... what are the regs on getting a male goat or two, (no interest in milk) i have a holding number for the poultry i keep...........

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: regs
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 11:46:08 am »
Goats would absolutely love it. If you are getting male goats make sure they are castrated or you will end up with "smelly boys". Of course you would need adequate fencing as they are experts at escaping.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 01:38:58 pm »
You will need a flock number for the goats, your holding no will stay the same and cover everything but under that if you have cows sheep goats etc then each has a flock no allocated. Sometimes they let you use the same flock no across species, sometimes not. as you only have goats that need a number they will issue you a flock no. UK then 6 digits. If you ever have to tag anything born on your farm this will be part of the tag no, along with the unique animal ID.

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 02:16:01 pm »
so if i buy a goat what should it have,,,ie number etc.. then what do i have to do...... what about if i get offered one without a number etc

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 03:51:21 pm »
the seller should have tagged the goats and you should not take them from the seller unless they have them. if the seller is delivering get them to read out the tag nos to you so you know they have been done. You will not have to retag them with your own tags until/unless they lose one. The seller must also fill in a movement form, one part they keep and file, one part you get and one part you send off to the animal movement people so the records get updated.

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 03:54:54 pm »
a goat without any identification is illegal      as is any animal        how can you identify that goat from any other how did it get on the holding it is on just now                 it is surprising how many animals are in the same situation no id no paper work and no place to go legaly

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 09:35:51 pm »
You will need to keep at least two goats, one will be very unhappy without company of his/her own kind and become a pest. Also you can keep female goats, just don't breed them, or let the offspring suckle until the nanny dries up naturally.

They will need a shed/proper shelter, daily water change, fresh hay/haylage, maybe a handful of oats or similar and in winter probably a LOT of hay and some concentrate. They will need worming every so often, feet trimmed every 4 to 6 weeks, and goats absolutely thrive on human interaction. Oh, and they will do anything, absolutely anything to get to chicken food - with usually disastrous results.

Make sure any males are castrated - if there is an animal sanctuary near you, they would probably love to shift some wethers...

But please read up on goats BEFORE you get any!!!

If you only need your weeds to go - better get it either sprayed off or topped regularly. Cheaper too.... hay was last year over 4 quid a bale in our region...

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 11:04:17 pm »
Goats would absolutely love it. .... Of course you would need adequate fencing as they are experts at escaping.
That's for sure! Had a neighbour round earlier to tell us our two were on his shed roof. I'll be out in the morning with the stakes and the stock fencing again.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS