Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Animal Health Inspection  (Read 3163 times)

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Animal Health Inspection
« on: July 03, 2011, 08:24:14 am »
Got home Wednesday afternoon & a grey car pulled into the yard behind us, a very smartly dressed man introduced himself to us ... Animal Health Inspector.  OMG, cold sweat, panic, methinks "did I clean the piglets out before I went out?".
:o     :o    :o
Anyways, shouldn't have worried - we've had a lovely report.  Only 1 issue - we need to get a different Movement Book - the 1 we've been using is wrong, it says to send within 7 days on the cover, but 3 days on the triplicate forms inside  ??? - oops! never noticed that ::)

Ian Ferry (the AH man) was really nice (he thought the Kunes were lovely too  ;) ), really supportive of what we are trying to do here (note to self - must register chicken flock when/if next batch in the incy hatches-out!). 

So they're not ALL monsters after all  ;D
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Animal Health Inspection
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 08:47:58 am »
Well done!

No, they aren't all monsters. We've always found ours helpful, although I'm sure there are some that are less so.

Sandy

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 08:57:23 am »
We had some stay at our B&B, the women met her farmer boyfriend when she inspected his farm as it was a bit of a state, she still does it but not around here, Central Scotland. Nice women too!!!!

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 09:02:20 am »
We had one last Wednesday: lovely man, really nice, very helpful. Keeps sheep himself so knows what a handful stock can be. Gave me a new sheep movement book and a load of AML2 forms for pigs, and details of how to get the haulage qualification needed if you're taking your pigs more than 50km (and I asked him about that first). He told me a few "horror stories" about some places he had visited.
We also had a visit last month from the food hygiene people as we sell pork. Again: friendly, helpful, full of useful advice.
Moral: your local authority AH and food hygiene people are not faceless nazis! They want to help you. (though I'm sure there's the odd exception)

Sandy

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 10:53:27 am »
We recently had plans passed for an annex and that triggered off every type of inspection possible, i got a bit paranoid but they were all really nice, funny thing was, we had one inspection am from the council, the food hygien lady came pm unannounced and our kitchen was spotless, and while she was with me (very nice lady) a knock came at the door from energy saving people to "inspect" our house for energy efficency, I basicly told them to go away  >:(  and come back when the food lady had gone, I was a little sharpe and he was a lot like Daniel Craige (007)  :-* ...anyway, they came back and were very very nice and we had some loft insulation installed and loads of advice....so...dispite my feeling of BIG BROTHER, all's well that ends well!!!!!!!! nice people doing thier job!!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 09:53:50 pm »
glad it went well for you :)
Little Blue

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 12:39:02 am »

Aren't they supposed to give you notice that they're coming?

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 10:04:03 am »
Ambriel, no they don't have to give you notice that they're coming: That's so you don't get a chance to hide incriminating items before they turn up!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS