Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Plymouth Barred Rock Rooster becoming a bully.  (Read 2579 times)

jippers87

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Galway, Ireland.
Plymouth Barred Rock Rooster becoming a bully.
« on: July 02, 2011, 02:24:45 pm »
Hi all

What are your experiences with this breed of rooster? He is 1 year old and I've had him and his 'partner' for about 3 weeks or so.

Yesterday he became 'different'. I went out in the evening to call the hens and he attacked me. Running at my legs then flying to my stomach height and coming at me.

I tried everything, from trying to get away to running back at him to say 'I'm not scared of you' but nothing worked and frankly, I was terrified! He has done it to two others since.

Any ideas?
I can talk to my animals about anything. They never judge me or disagree with me!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Plymouth Barred Rock Rooster becoming a bully.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 03:02:57 pm »
Not this breed but I had an Old English Pheasant Fowl cockerel that did this. Two different approaches, pick the one that suits your temperament.

DH lifted him with his foot (i mean that, not kicked) and lifted him up and away every time he tried it.

I used to throw a bucket of water over him each time - have to have them standing around ready. And then sometimes I'd pick him up and carry him around under my arm for a while - the indignity  :D Both methods taught him a bit more respect!

jippers87

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Galway, Ireland.
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 03:38:56 pm »
Sounds like a plan, JayKay! I'm ashamed to say I am terrified! I don't have much experience I guesss!!

I went down to them a minute ago, sweeping brush in one hand and hose ready close by!

Didn't have to touch him but sweeping brush 1, big chicken 0 :)
I can talk to my animals about anything. They never judge me or disagree with me!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 04:08:52 pm »
When i was a kid we had a cockerel that behaved itself around my Dad but Mum always went into the chicken run armed with the dustbin lid like a shield  :D

It isn't nice - I used to hate not knowing where he was coming from next. In the end I sold them all to someone who was going to keep them at the bottom of an orchard.

I now have 4 cockerels of different breeds, all of whom are sweetness and light  :)

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 08:43:02 am »
 He's just being a cockerel and doing what cockerels do ;) A shield of some kind would keep him at bay. I have a huge rubber stable skip that I put over my cockerel when he runs at me and take it off again when I've done all I need to do in the pen.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS