Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The strangest thing !  (Read 2066 times)

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
The strangest thing !
« on: July 04, 2011, 04:33:34 pm »
One of my Cherry Valley Ducks struggled to get out of the pond a couple of weeks ago and when she eventually did, couldn't stand  :o   I picked her up and one leg seemed to be just hanging and I wondered if she'd banged it and it had gone a bit numb, so I popped her in the house for overnight safety as always.    Next morning she was still exactly the same.   It seemed like the leg was broken but I couldn't find any breaks or swelling or anything odd at all.    As I was taking one of the dogs to the vet for her annual jab that day, I took ducky along too.    The vet checked and double checked and couldn't find any sign of a break either and suggested some sort of nerve damage.   So she gave her a jab of anti inflam and off we went home again.    I put her in a dog cage with lots of wood chip for bedding, gave her food and water and just kept an eye on her.   She ate and drank as normal and so the following day I put her in a stable during the day with food and water and popped her back in the cage for safety in the evening.  On the 3rd day I decided to give her some exercise and popped her in the horse water trough where she swam up and down and dipped her head under the water and did all normal duck things......with one leg trailing behind.     

So......I continued with the 'hydrotherapy' (even moving her leg backwards and forwards in the water  ::) at least twice and sometimes three times a day.......and guess what....after 10 days she was fully back to normal.   I watched the very gradual improvement each day and she's now back in the pond with the other 3 completely normal  :D

RESULT.
 ;D

But will probably never know what, why or how it happened but did wonder if I should go in for Duck Hydrotherapy as a sideline  ;D ;D :&> :&> :&>
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

wellywearer

• Joined Feb 2011
Re: The strangest thing !
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 05:06:49 pm »
Lucky duck to have you as an owner!

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 06:49:55 pm »
 :bouquet:

She's actually now called "Lucky"  :&>   8)
 :wave:
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 07:47:09 pm »
lovely story!

not to do down your hydrotherapy but ...

we had a chicken we though was dead - after a night under the stars (lucky for her the goat kidded and we were too busy to bury/cremate her!) she opened an eye, then both, then moved her head, then neck etc, after a week she could shuffle about and now you wouldnt know she'd ever been hurt! 
think she paralysed herself with bad flying/landing.

go Lucky!  :duck:
Little Blue

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 08:11:38 pm »
Oh wow  :D that must have been scarey when she started to blink at you  ;D    Lucky chook too  :chook:  :wave:
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS