Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poorly or neurotic?  (Read 1591 times)

footysurfrat

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Devon
Poorly or neurotic?
« on: June 29, 2011, 06:31:14 pm »
Hi, i got a pair of hens this time last year and they are doing well, i get at least an egg a day, normally 2, in fact the only time they've not laid was during the snow last year. One is quite chilled, bigger than the other looks bright, nice red comb and seems fine...the other one is slightly smaller, and is just always in a flap, does nothing slowly, runs around desperatly searching for food all the time, has a pale pink, floppy comb (though this has been the case since i can remember) and just seems very highly strung! Physically there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with her, she is certainly the dominant hen in the run, she lays well although not as consistent as the other. Should i be worried or have i just got a drama queen for a hen?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Poorly or neurotic?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 06:35:53 pm »
She shouldn't have a pale pink comb if she's laying. So then you've got to think why and is the neurotic running around to do with trying to get something she's lacking,

You've checked for red mite and you worm them regularly? I know one's ok but they differ in their sensitivity to such things.

You might just have a neurotic hen - but in addition the anaemia needs looking at.

footysurfrat

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Devon
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 07:04:07 pm »
She has full run of the garden for a few hours each day and has a constant supply of layers pellets and fresh veg. Havent wormed them so maybe i'll try that as i probably should be doing it anyway. The fact that she's still happily laying is what doesn't make sense as i thought if she was poorly she'd stop?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 10:02:43 pm »
Pale dry combs on a hen are an indication of condition. And in nearly sixty years involvemnt in Poultry I have yet to see a hen in full lay with a pale dry comb. It is usually accompanied by the moult period or just after, and can also be an indication of impending illness.
I found this on Backyard Poultry forum.

footysurfrat

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Devon
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 12:24:51 pm »
Attached a pic so you can see for yourself (shes the one on the right), like i said seems ok, eating and drinking and laying at least once every other day? Guess will just have to keep an eye an her but she's been like it for at least the last 6 months so guess its just her?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS