Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sudden fall in milk yield?  (Read 2008 times)

Lizt

• Joined Jan 2008
sudden fall in milk yield?
« on: June 30, 2011, 09:36:21 am »
Gloria had her triplets 5 weeks ago. She had a mastitis problem (2 weeks ago) which we treated with intra-mammary antibiotics, anti-inflammatory sub-cutes and an intra-muscular painkiller (before the teat treatment). After treatment she was giving almost 3 litres a day (the 3 kids are all bottle fed and kept separately from her) but yesterday her yield was less than 2 litres - she's on very good mixed grazing and has hay and pellets at night as she wants. It has been very hot but she has had access to good clean water thoughout. Her temp is ok but her stools are a bit loose - any ideas?
Immediately following the treatment I was milking every 2 hours - now that is down to 3 times a day. I'm going to try increasing the milkings to see if that helps - perhaps her yield was up in response to the frequent post-treatment milkings?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: sudden fall in milk yield?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 12:41:59 pm »
Has she been wormed post-kidding? My first guess would be that nematodes need treating, I have used Oramec this spring successfully. Use any oral wormer at 1.5 to 1.8 of the sheep dose, so quite abit more. If you are not sure a quick (if you can get it quick) worm count may be best.

Do you feed any milk replacer in top of her milk - I would think a litre per kid per day is not enough for 5 weeks of age. What breed is she?

Lizt

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 03:31:10 pm »
Thanks Anke
I have not wormed her post kidding because of the earlier complications. The kids have powdered milk and I froze quite a lot of regular milk earlier in the year just in case - I aim for 1.5litres each per day. They are doing well. Gloria is an Alpine type.
Thx

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 05:59:34 pm »
1.5 litres is only just over 2 and a half pints a day. The British Goat Society website advises for kids between 2 and 8 weeks of age to give 2.5 litres a day. Personally we give even more than that but generally it is because we have spare milk. I have a 5 week old for example who is currently drinking roughly 3.5litres a day.

I would worm mum- after kidding is a very common time for worms to be a problem as the pregnancy holds them at bay, but once kidding is over it leaves the goat vulnerable.

Beth

Lizt

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 01:11:18 pm »
Thanks Ballingall
I'm giving 1.5 litres in accordance with vet's instructions but if I feel they need more they can have it - at the moment they are on 3 feeds per day and are outside on very good mixed grazing plus they have good hay and pellets available at night.
Gloria (mother) gave a little more milk yesterday but her temp went up last night - I have a vet app this afternoon although her temp is back down now. Hopefully she will be sorted soon.
Thanks - will post outcome.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS