Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: To fence or not to fence??  (Read 3555 times)

tobytoby

• Joined May 2011
  • north ayrshire
To fence or not to fence??
« on: May 27, 2011, 12:26:47 pm »
I am intending to get around 24 hens and have them free range, in the field and woods. However i don't like the thought of penning them in after they are settled in or fencing off large areas? We are very rural and since the pheasant shooting & game keeper was stopped/sacked there are more foxes around?

Therefore what alternatives to fencing ( not poison as i have 3 mad dogs that eat everything) - shooting yes, but would placing dog poo in various locations make the fox think twice (just a random thought?)?

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
Re: To fence or not to fence??
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 12:39:11 pm »
I would fence a decent area for them to be safe in when you are not around, and let them free range when you are, so you can keep an eye out fo foxes and other problems.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 01:08:28 pm »
If you are happy to let them have total freedom in exchange for losses which may be considerable once local Foxy loxy smells them, then fine, but personally I'd give them a good well fenced area that can be sectioned off into two or more runs that can be alternated, whether you are at home or not.  They'll need a coop anyway so you can incorporate that into the runs - one in each so they can be cleaned out regularly.  I have runs and let mine out on fine days to roam around, but they are 'trained' to come back in when I rattle the food cup.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

cairnhill

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 01:42:18 pm »
You could use electrified poultry netting which can be moved around.  I recommend the tallest stuff with a double spike and would also support with tree steaks to get it as tight as possible.  Also they must still be shut up inside their houses at night.   Touch wood I have not lost anything to Mr Fox or Mr Badger so far.

tobytoby

• Joined May 2011
  • north ayrshire
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 02:28:38 pm »
Thanks for the comments. They will definitely be in the coop each night as standard, but due to terrai it looks like electric fencing will be the winner. :chook: :)

goodlifer

• Joined May 2011
  • todmorden, lancs
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 12:28:26 pm »
If you had asked this question 3 days ago i would have been all for the free ranging as we have had 4 chucks who we let anywhere and everywhere and had had no trouble at all since we moved in 10 months ago. Mr Fox struck on sunday and we lost 3 of our girls so we are gutted. Plan now is to make a run to put them in when we are not around but then let them free range when we are nearby. I loved the fact that they could potter around the farm in total freedom but now i feel totally guilty that i let them down. Chickens are such amusing creatures that i wont be put off getting some more i will just be more careful.
 :chook:

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 04:23:47 pm »
You do need a fence.

Fox takes more birds in the day than at night - after all, they are locked away at night - so when would you turn up for your snack knowing that the picnic is all laid out with no one to stop you filling your belly?

Elec fencing is ok but you could have problems with birds getting caught up in it and zapped to death. I only use it under supervision as a temp solution.

Take the time and spend the money doing a proper job - good solid posts, high taut fencing (min 5ft foot, pref 8ft) and lock them in their secure house at night for added protection. Yes, let them free range when you are about, but be aware that fox may still take his chance. I've had to chase him off from by my back door twice in the afternoon recently, he only had eyes for his dinner and saw nothing else.

:chook:

Juno

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 08:52:27 am »
I have also just lost three of my girls to the fox, yesterday in broard daylight !! they are/were free range with the run of the field, and in at night.
i am now desperately trying to build a run so that i can fence them in to make sure they are safe, i will consider lettin them out when i am there.

the devastation was terrible  :o

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 01:57:32 pm »
Oh Juno, that's so horrible.  Poor you - and poor hens.

I guess it's a warning to us all - it's that time of year - young foxes starting hunting for themselves, don't know the rules yet.  Plus most hunts have stopped exercising the hounds around the lambing fields so there's been nothing moving the foxes on.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

princesspiggy

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 11:19:57 pm »
our first hens (about 30) were completely free range for ages, mainly in farmyard, and didnt lose any, until the night i 4got to shut them in, when they were all killed.
now i made a big run for them with 6 ft high fencing and not lost one (except to a cat). the other hens in a different area have a run with pop hole to a paddock, which they cross to explore the woods, of these we lost 9 in one week.
 i think it depends how much u are out and about, near where they roam. busy farm yard with dogs milling around would keep the fox back i would think.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS