Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sick pig  (Read 9865 times)

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
sick pig
« on: June 29, 2011, 11:47:56 am »
5 month old pig.  Yesterday he was slow to get up and not too interested in food.

This morning he didn't get up at all for food.  I went in the pen and he got up.  I noticed he has red blotches all over his body.  I would blame it on bug bites but the other 3 in the pen are fine.

He looks sick in the eyes.

Help, any suggestions.

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
Re: sick pig
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 11:48:29 am »
sounds like Erisypilis - I would call the vet asap

princesspiggy

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 11:58:51 am »
does anyone vaccinate for erisyphillis? our vet said not to bother.
good luck

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 12:21:25 pm »
does anyone vaccinate for erisyphillis? our vet said not to bother.
good luck

We vaccinate breeding sows as a matter of course..
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 12:27:12 pm »
I do. :wave:
I spoke to our vet about it as I thought I was perhaps doing it unnecessarily, but a couple of weeks later I got a phonecall from someone I got weaners from to say they'd had a case in some bought in pigs from elsewhere. Suffice to say I do still carry on with the vaccinations. IMHO while it won't kill your pigs (providing you get anti-b's into them quickly) it does mean an end to their breeding carreer and a £15 bottle of medicine -v- the loss of a breeding pig, well there's no contest  ;)
Karen x

princesspiggy

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 10:26:26 pm »
do u inject it urselves then, maybe we should too, we had all good intentions last year but was told by vet it wasnt neccessary as wev only a few pigs. ???

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 11:38:16 pm »
Yeah, we do the jags ourselves. It's not too bad once you get the hang of it (honest !) For the first injections, they need 2 jags - 4 weeks apart and every 6 months thereafter. 2ml per pig by sub-cutanious injection behind the ear (even piglets from 6 weeks - but they're a doddle cos you can hold them ;) the bigger ones get it in the neck, as it were ;) as their heads hit the feed trough and never give a second thought to it) I buy Porcillis Ery (sp?) from Vetmedsdirect on-line, it's about £14 per bottle but I'm sure there are loads of other suppliers. You might even want to consider getting a prescription from your vet for the Ery + Parvo injection depending on your farrowing record and herd health plan. There's been lots of discussion over whether or not you can store the bottle once it's been breached (to save buying 2 bottles for the first rounds of injections) but the concensus is NO - best with 2 bottles. Just remember to get the correct size of needles depending on the pig you're injecting - Homefield Farm services are good for offering advice on this if you're not sure on sizes and also do a range of needles, syringes and meds - I've used them too and find them really good - they've got vets on-hand too if you ever have a query or problem.
HTH
Karen

princesspiggy

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 12:50:14 am »
worth reconsidering then  8)
hows ur pig yankiegirl?

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 02:06:48 am »
Thanks for all the advise.  Looks like the verdict is Erysipilis (the spellings I have seen!!). 

After checking with some reliable sources we are going with a course of penicillin.  (Everyone I talked with said I could vaccinate but they themselves did not.)

The pig looks miserable.  I hate this animal business when one of them is sick.  I feel so helpless and sad.

I will post tomorrow on progress.

Thanks again!!!!  I love this site.

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 05:15:24 pm »
Check the doses of penicillin - when the vet came out for our pig, she gave her 2 quite strong doses 3 days apart as well as some anti-inflammatories - as their joints really hurt with erisypilis

They aren't any good for breeding after, but fine for meat

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 05:56:21 pm »
It's awful when they're sick, but erysipelas usually responds quickly to penicillin. Good luck!

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 09:53:06 pm »
Update:

Sick pig responding well to penicillin.  Another one has the spots and is off food.  Hubby and I gave all 4 in the pen a shot.  (What a cluster!  Should of had that in film.)  We will give another tomorrow morning.

I hope it doesn't present in the two gilts across the barn in another pen.

Why no breeding after infection?

HappyHippy

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 10:56:06 pm »
It weakens the joints. You'd potentially be looking at a pig that couldn't cope with the weight gain of pregnancy and I think the weakness might get passed on to the piglets (but could be wrong about that bit)
Either way - it's just not good practice to be breeding from them I'm afraid  :(
Karen x

Bright Raven

• Joined May 2010
  • North Shropshire
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2011, 09:34:46 pm »
A tip for giving sick pigs powdered penicillin. Mix up the dose in an egg cup with a spoon full of honey so you have a gloopy blob. Cut up some apples and dip them into the mix and feed them by hand. Even if your pigs are really lethargic you should be able to get the whole dose into them. You also know how much each pig got if you do individual portions that way.

I hope they recover soon. xxx
Julia xxx 3 acres and a day job!!!! Chickens, Turkeys, Sheep, Pigs, Veggies and Homebrew. Husband, son, pets, chutney and music.
If I am here it's because I am putting my feet up!

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2011, 12:30:24 am »
yankieGirl: don't mess about where erysipelas is concerned - vaccinate the lot NOW, whether they are showing signs or not.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS