Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help PLEASE  (Read 2718 times)

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Help PLEASE
« on: June 28, 2011, 08:17:08 am »
Our kids are 3.5 months old now and for the last couple of days they were scouring, otherwise they are totally normal. No change in food. Coat is gone a bit strange, too. So I thought they might need worming. Vet recommended Oramec or Levanisole (selling?). Yesterday I spoke to a friend of mine in Germany who has been keeping goats for donkey years. She asked whether the grazing is close to water because then she would worm for tapeworms first and later for the rest. What wormer can I use for tapeworm, the one she recommended I cannot find in the internet and do you think to worm for tapeworm first.
Gabi

goatcarrier

• Joined Jun 2011
Re: Help PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 08:54:54 am »
Have you treated for Coccidiousis if not It maybe that is the problem and I would treat with Vecoxan it wouldn't hurt to dose anyway

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 09:34:21 am »
totally agree on this one.  Kids are highly susceptible to coccidiosis.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 12:01:09 pm »
I would worm them and treat for cocci as well. I don't know of a wormer which just covers tapeworms- and you would be unlikely to be able to use it the UK anyway, as there are hardly any wormers recommended for goats.

Beth

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 03:19:47 pm »
Did she mean tapeworms or fluke? (Just wondered as you mentioned the near the water/wet reason.)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 03:28:56 pm »
That's true- and it could be fluke if near water.

Bteh

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 04:55:12 pm »
Thanks for your replys, did order a wormer that does everything including fluke and the vet said it is ok for goats. Just try to get hold of a couple of farmer friends whether I can buy some Vecoxan from them as our local supplier only has huge quantities and apparently it can not be stored once opened.
All goats seem fine today but it is better to be safe then sorry.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 10:26:50 pm »
Speak to your vet - Intradine is an injectable drug for cocci (although not specifically licensed for it anymore), and works very well. I have used it on lambs last year and on my wether kids just recently.

If yours are out and about for most of the day it is most likely to be worm related, or even just over eating on wet grass.

Hope they get themselves sorted, it's just horrible if their backends are all messy and they are miserable - are they weaned yet?

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 07:36:51 pm »
Also if you can find a vet that knows ::)ask him to check the GOAT dose reccomended(And double check it yourself in case he can't get it in his/her thick head that goats aren't sheep ;) )

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS