Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Strangles in Cornwall  (Read 3605 times)

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
Strangles in Cornwall
« on: May 12, 2011, 01:25:44 pm »
Hi All :wave: :horse:

Just a pre warning that there have been two fatal cases of strangles in Perranporth and Newquay over the past week or so  :(

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
Re: Strangles in Cornwall
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 01:30:29 pm »
There is a vaccine for strangles, now back on the market. So if you have horses in these areas it may be worth speaking to your vet about this.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 01:44:30 pm »
I have also heard that a livery yard in bristol has it and that it was the owner that brought a sick horse on and infected the horses there

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 02:57:53 pm »
A local show to us, about 5 miles away, was cancelled at the weekend due to a suspected strangles case on the yard it was to be held at.  Its a big livery yard and there are always outbreaks. I suppose horses coming and going, its not surprising.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 03:05:09 pm »
it pops up every summer somewhere, horrible to treat for horse and owner.  :horse:

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 03:15:02 pm »
I remember working for a huge and very popular farm/adventure park and the owner used to take me with her to the sales to try the ponies sometimes. She went one day and bought back 5 horses and they all ended up with strangles, it was a nightmare, we had to close down the whole top end of the park because of the guests! :(

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 03:58:40 pm »
I think there are 100 horses on this yard, and apparantly 6 have symptoms so far, but with such a big yard, its likely more will have it.

lucy11

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 11:52:35 am »

Can I just confirm that there has NOT been any horse related deaths in Perranporth due to Strangles, but there is strangles in the area!!!!!

rideandrescue

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 05:06:24 pm »
Hi All :wave: :horse:

Just a pre warning that there have been two fatal cases of strangles in Perranporth and Newquay over the past week or so  :(

Re the post that there is a livery yard in the Bristol area with Strangles, I can confirm there is and there have, regretably and devastatingly so for the ponies and owners, been two deaths at that yard.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS