Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what is Bogweed?  (Read 10978 times)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
what is Bogweed?
« on: June 22, 2011, 09:38:45 pm »
I have been told that my pasture contains bog weed which needs treating. I cant seem to find anything about it in any of my books.

can anyone tell me what its latin name is and how best to tackle it?

Buffy

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: what is Bogweed?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 01:15:54 am »
Hmmm.  I googled, as no doubt did you, and it seems you are growing hashish?  ;D

Can you get your 'expert' to be a little more specific? And/or post a pic?  (Note, if the leaves look a little like the flag of Canada, do not post!  ;D)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 08:46:29 am »
Ha ha, :D

thanks Sally, I did google it and only came up with what you did. It was the pest control man who said that we had it "in the top corner"
I think I'll go investigate said "corner" this morning and see if I can see what he is refering to. Perhaps just an application of Grazon will sort out whatever it it is.

If it is shaped like a maple leaf perhaps I could make more money on it than I can selling eggs!

Buffy

Sandy

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 09:59:58 am »
SUre its not Hog Weed? Thats an  unbrella plant like Cow Parsly but bigger with thick hairy stem (bit like my legs) and hairy leaves that cause rash to the skin and do smell like  :pig:

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 07:49:36 am »
If he pointed to the corner, go with a camera and post a photo?

I was thinking Hogweed aswell, but there are so many plants/weeds with regional names that I would imagine there is a bogweed other than the one you googled ;)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Sandy

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 02:18:32 pm »
Well from what I have googled, bogweed sounds £££££££ ;D ;D

Daisy

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Near Earlston Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 02:42:32 pm »
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 02:45:47 pm by Daisy »

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 02:02:42 pm »
well...

I rumaged around the afore mentioned "far corner" looking for some thing like sandys legs ( poor you sandy to have legs so hairy that they bring people out in a rash :-\) and took a pick but it was breezy and I couldnt get enough detail in focus.

It dosent look like the ones in the link Daisy but I will explore the site further and see if I can find it.

I think the plant he is reffering to is a narrow stemed plant about 18 inches high. the stems are hairy and cause irritation to the skin. The leaves are a couple of inches long and have smooth edges tapering to a point like a spear head. the shoots growing out from the main stem curve out and up gracefully and at the end of them is a cluster of 4 tiny yellow flowers with 4 petals. It didnt seem to have a distinctive smell.

The pest man said to cut it down to stop it seed ing but I would also like to spray it. Any thoughts?

Buffy

Sandy

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 02:29:35 pm »
poor you sandy to have legs so hairy that they bring people out in a rash
Very few get near my legs, including me   ;)

I wish my brother would come on this forum, he a botonist and loves little puzzels!!!!!! Can you take a photo as that may be easier as I haven't a clue!!

Daisy

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 05:33:58 pm »

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 08:33:26 pm »
Hi all,

here it is, any ideas?

Buffy

seldomseen

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Crimea
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 09:04:44 pm »
if that picture is anything to go by ......That grows here in Crimea, I give it to the goats they love it....I know someone is going to say its poisonous (as most seem to be if they produce a milky substance if broken off at the stem) but mine have had it for about 3 yrs and nothing has happened to them, they will run a mile if they see it and gobble it up.

Daisy

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 10:32:01 pm »
I've no idea, but it does look familiar a bit like some of the non prickly thistles  ???

Sandy

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 11:54:46 pm »
No! my legs ........(and chin)are hairier!!! no idea of that..maybe I shall cut and past!!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2011, 01:55:06 am »
No, no idea at all! 

Here are some things that look a bit like your pics ...

http://www.british-wild-flowers.co.uk/F-Flowers/Fiddleneck,%20Common.htm
http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/organicweeds/weed_information/weed.php?id=98
Fiddleneck is poisonous to horses, not sure about goats

http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/knotgrass.htm
The sap is an irritant but can also be used to stop bleeding

Hope someone else is better at this than I am!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS