Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sage - any ideas  (Read 5991 times)

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
Sage - any ideas
« on: June 27, 2011, 09:31:23 am »
I have a sage plant in my gardenthat I planted last year.  It made it through the winter and the several feet of snow that lay on top of it for months and now it has gone mad and it growing at a rate of knots.  I have dried some and preserved some in oil and put it in lots of stuff I cook.  Does anyone have any other ideas for using it up or preserving it?  Many thanks.
Melanie x

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
Re: Sage - any ideas
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 09:48:01 am »
Chop it finely, put it in ice cube trays with a bit of water and it keeps perfectly. You can then just add the ice cubes to soup, stock, stew, or whatever. Works well with all herbs.  :)

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 09:51:35 am »
Butter too  ;)
Chop it up, mix it through, roll it into sausage shapes and cut into rounds, then freeze it. I think it preserves the flavour more than water and it's handy just to pop on top of meat or veg for instant seasoning.
Pigs love it too  ;) ;D
HTH
Karen  :wave:

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 10:12:45 am »
mmmmmmmm. A wee squeeze of garlic, a sprinkle of coarse sea salt....    :yum:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 11:40:27 am »
I love sage in scrambled eggs.  Actually, I love sage in most things.  Apparently though too much is not good for you (can't remember why.)

Sounds like you need to be looking at swapsies with friends and neighbours!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 01:33:37 pm »
Fried sage leaves in butter are gorgeous.

littlemisspiggy!

• Joined Sep 2010
  • NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
    • just left of the 20th century
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 12:25:50 pm »
sage bread!! uummmmm :P ;D

very nice in flat breads!!
'can't rain all the time!'

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 05:55:34 pm »
yum - both the sage bread and butter sound fab and I'll defo try them.  Thanks everyone.
Melanie x

deepinthewoods

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 09:43:46 pm »
it might sound daft but you can bath in it! on its own or mixed with thyme it really is nice and soothing. you can dry it roll it and burn it like incense as the american indians do for 'smudging', and white witches use it for clearing negative energy. personally, it makes a fine stuffing!!

Antz

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 03:19:18 pm »
Love the butter idea, will be giving that a go for sure.
One thing to note is sage plants become less flavoursome as they become more established. I was told to take cuttings about every three years so in the forth year you start with a new plant.

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 06:39:42 pm »
I didn't know that Antz!  I only put in a new one last year so a little while to go yet.  I'm making things and freezing it - also in the icecubes so that when it gets snowy I can have sage without having to dig it our from under leaves and snow x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS