Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lump in udder.  (Read 2961 times)

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
Lump in udder.
« on: June 26, 2011, 09:42:49 pm »
Hi all

Gust, our Golden Guernsey cross nanny has a lump in her udder. It started last lactation with a small lump. Got the vet out and he said it was a blocked milk duct and would probably go away in time. Well it did go eventually but with this new lactation it's back and growing in size gradually. The vet says it has become a chronic problem now with a build up of scar tissue. She is becoming progressively harder to milk on that side and I guess the time will come when we are unable to milk her out completely.
I don't think there is any satisfactory surgical procedure that will cure the problem, and I don't relish the thought of her getting mastitis.
Anyone else had a similar problem and found a solution?  If not I suppose we'll have to dry her off and try to find a home somewhere for her as a companion goat.

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Lump in udder.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 08:40:14 pm »
poor Gust, that sounds nasty.  :(
does it cause her discomfort / pain? 
all the time or just when being milked?

Is she suckling kids, or just manually milked? 
this might make a difference, the kids may well "knock" it free, or suckle her drier...

all the best for little Gust
:)
Little Blue

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 09:43:35 pm »
My BT type milker has limps in her udder, although vet says they are not in the milk ducts/tissue, and so do not affect her milking. It has recently been suggested to me to put some cider vinegar in her drinking water and also add some garlic to her food (I put it into the soaked sugarbeet). I have started on the garlic, and once she is used to that will start in the vinegar.

How old is your girl? If she is quite old it may be best to retire her.

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 10:45:57 pm »
Hi Little Blue

It does not seem to cause her a lot of pain at all but I suspect that it's uncomfortable during milking. The biggest problem at the moment is the time it takes to hand milk her out, up to 15 mins, and you know how patient goats are!

Hi Anke

I may try the Garlic/Cider Vinegar just to see if it helps. Gust is just over 4 years old and only 3 months into her 3rd lactation, so it seems a shame if we have to get rid of her.

Dave

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 10:52:32 pm »
Her age would definitely mean that I would try and get her sorted, rather than retire.

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 10:00:21 pm »
The vet has been out today and says there is nothing he can do to help. We shall have to dry her off slowly and try to find a nice home for her. Goats seem to be popular as "companions" for horses, maybe she can apply for that job!
Sad day really but we don't keep pets, everything has to at least try to pay it's way.

Dave

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 10:19:03 pm »
Oh that's bad news. I fully understand that you have to try and sell her, I also do not have pet goats (my older GG is just 4 and on her 3rd lactation...).

But quite often people need a companion goat, if they suddenly find that one of their two is gone...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS