Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Talk to me about Northamptonshire  (Read 8529 times)

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
Re: Talk to me about Northamptonshire
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2011, 05:24:05 pm »

T being the twizzly tree, and R being the rose(s?). The dotted lines are existing paths/slabs (an old greenhouse base?). Most of the ground is a dead lawn and some overgrown beds.

At the top of the picture is an outbuilding, with a wall extending almost to the back of the house. I'm guessing not a lot will grow between house and outbuilding - I'm planning to put compost heap there although I'm concerned about attracting rats. The dog also needs a bit to potter around in.
The top left chunk is surrounded by low stone walls, so I'm guessing it's a bit of a heat trap.
The bottom of the plan is the front of the house, so needs pretty, functional things.

Crop wise, I definitely want rhubarb, raspberries, beetroot, lots of herbs, sprouting broccoli, peas, some kind of squash. I'd love a dwarf plum/damson tree but doubt there's really room? I'd be happy to try training a cordon/espalier set-up, but obviously I'm limited in terms of fixing things to walls. I'm not bothered for carrots or spuds, but would like to try salsify and scorzonera. Herbs would include thyme, rosemary, sage, chamomile, marigold, borage, chives, lemonbalm (potted), mint (potted), maybe oregano - the one I have no adds no flavour, maybe comfrey as a chop-and-use-as-mulch thing? I'm intrigued by "egyptian walking onions"!

I've heard that herbs and alpine strawberries can be slotted into gaps in vertical surfaces - maybe around the edge of the suntrap? And that dogwood can be grown to provide your peasticks?

I'm going to begin with lasagne gardening i.e. slap a load of cardboard down and mulch the living daylight out of it - even if it gets done a corner at a time.

Over to you.....  :farmer:

Edit - changed to a labelled sketch
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 07:48:31 pm by YorkshireLass »

deepinthewoods

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2011, 06:03:34 pm »
i wouldnt put the compost heap in the cold, you want that warm in winter. maybe use that closed area as storage or fence it off for the dogs? it would seem that the a greenhouse would run between  T and R  following east to west, and the veg plot from T to the north maybe? i would have my cucurbits in the stone walled bit if theres enough ventilation and the compost bin near the roses? hth.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2011, 08:05:36 pm »
Thank you :)
Yes I was thinking the main stretch on the left would be veg-central! I was being lazy in planning the compost to be as close to the kitchen door as possible, though I don't think it would be good to put it by the front door... perhaps somewhere near the old greenhouse base?

Still pondering the front garden space. The rose(s) have to stay anyway, might be a good place for pretty herbs - chamomile, marigold?

deepinthewoods

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2011, 09:02:47 pm »
maybe compost in the top corner marked for kitchen herbs and herbs in pots on the old greenhouse base to save you breaking it up? i wish now id have been able to plan mine before moving in, i was offered my current veg plot before i was offered the house as well, sods law.
i wouldnt shade the southern sun by planting anything tall towards the bottom left corner.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2011, 10:49:14 pm »
I was playing around with this but I don't want to shade out the front windows? Maybe dwarf tree needs to go up by the compost heap? How small can you get a dwarf tree, anyway?

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2011, 07:04:42 pm »
I've been racking my brain trying to work out where off the High Street you are. My cousin's husband own's the Three Horseshoe's but the long-time former owner, Keith Edwards, still manages it for him.

If you go in at all say 'Hi' from me (Gary Sutherland/Marden).

« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 01:52:44 pm by ambriel »

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2011, 07:56:05 pm »
So, I did a hi-tec plan in MS Paint, but it won't let me use the text tool? In any case, I've pulled up the greenhouse base (the slabs were just sat on soil) and ordered some seeds for spring! Also planted some lavendar and mulched the front borders.

Here's my list of seeds, it's big! But it's a case of try a few of each, see what survives, etc. Plus a lot are herbs and will be scattered in the ornamental bits.

Veg

Cauliflower
    Sprouting broccoli
    Kale
    Beetroot
    Carrot
    Pea
    Runner bean
    Leek
    Squash (if room)
    Kohl rabi (easy to grow, may sacrifice for something nicer)
    Welsh onion (perennial)
    Mooli (maybe)
    Sea kale
    Samphire
    Salsify
    Scorzonera
    Winter Purslane

Herbs

Chives
    Basil
    Parsely
    Sage
    Thyme
    Rosemary
    Lavender
    Calendula
    Chamomile
    Mint
    Borage
    Tarragon
    Hyssop
    Sweet Woodruff
    Winter Savory

Fruit

Cranberry (looking a bit ill)
    Alpine strawberry
    Autumn raspberry*
    Dwarf tree* Almond, apple, plum??
    Climbing berry* Honeyberry? Wineberry??

Comments welcome! I'm trying to consider using vertical wall space as much as possible, hence the climbing fruit.  :yum:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS